Panic disorder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I just wanted to share my own experience with Anxiety and Panic attacks.

I am a 30 year old man and i had my first panic attack aged 17 which I am certain was caused by smoking cannabis. Since then I have had them on and off over the years but had always managed to get over them and get on with my life.

Then about a month ago, I wasn't sleeping well and was feeling a bit run down and I awoke one morning to having the worst panic attack I have ever had.Since then I have been having attacks daily with symptoms including: palpitations,heavy breathing,tiredness,clammy feet,hands and hot,tingly spells.

For the first time it is actually started to seriously affect my life as I do not want to go anywhere or be around other people, it has also been affecting my work as I have had several days off in the month alone.

Last week I finally plucked up the courage to seek medical advice from my GP, who has prescribed me fluoxetine and recommended I do cognitive behavioural therapy.But so far being on the drugs has actually made me feel worse as I have developed tremors,my legs feel like jelly all the time and I am getting hardly any sleep at all now.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hun

Stick with the meds as your doctor should have told you that you will get worse before you start to feel better Hun.

• Posted

Have you been through it? And are you better now? Plz give us some hope x
    • Posted

When I spoke to the doctor he just sounded like he wanted to get rid of me, he shoved a leaflet in my hand wrote a prescription and I was on my way.I have been looking for alternative advice since and I came across this website.
    • Posted

Oh yes very very severe anxiety and depression I wouldn't have survived without medication the Ssris have been a blessing I've been on paroxatine for a few years now and it suits me well. Please stick with them for at least 4/6 weeks then if no better go back and try another you will eventually find one that suits you. I also take diazepam when things get way too much but I'm so much better now than I was xx
    • Posted

Thaanks cazjaz,

. so would you say its very early days for me still? Did you feel better after 6 weeks? And are you now still taking diazipam all these years later?

Many thanks x

• Posted

I would never stop my Paroxatine and only have diazepam when needed which tbh is very rare now but it helps me to think it's there if needed so that's just how my mind works xx
  • Posted

I have been exactly the same, I'm on sertraline, 3 weeks now, apparently it gets,worse before it gets better, also I'm hardly sleeping, eventually evenings should get better, wel for me they have , not always, but like now mornings are awful.
    • Posted

Apart from the odd moment most of the day is pretty bad at the moment.
    • Posted

Are you depressed too? I cant even work its hit me so very bad, I've even felt suicidal a lot of days. I'm 3 weeks on antidepressants, 1 week on 25mg and 2 weeks on 50 mg I think, I'm loosing count? All I know I i have another week on the 50mg dose then if not better Dr wil up my dose I think. Hopefully somone who has been through it can give us hope, I have already read threads that people do get better and it takes time, we just need loads of reassurance.
    • Posted

I have never really suffered with depression before but after two months of shear hell it is starting to get on top of me.

To be honest I would like to look for a support group or something in my local area as it might help speaking to people with similar issues.

• Posted

Yes as the severe anxiety made me depressed and like yourself nothing made me relax or feel better. Don't beat yourself up about it read up on anxiety understanding more about it helps also. You will get better and learn to cope much better with it xx
    • Posted

Yes talking to people helps me too, I haven't foound one in my area, I wouldn't know how to find one?
    • Posted

Yes early days Hun if it's only 3 weeks xx
    • Posted

I have found a website called freindsinneed that have support groups that you can join and go along to in your local area, I have only just joined myself so I don'the know too much about what it is like though.
    • Posted

I know exactly how your feeling Hun 😢 Get as much information of the internet you can regarding anxiety and depression it really does help to read and talk about it xx Hope you get some peace soon. Your probably feeling worse as your upping your medication quite quickly so your getting a double whammy xx
    • Posted

I am taking sertraline too it's been 6/7 weeks now and only just starting to feel the effects, I also take propanranol, hang on in there it does get better, never 100% but there is an improvement which I'm hoping will continue x
    • Posted

What mg are you on may I ask? Do you sleep at night now? I dont sleep more than 3 hours , been thinking of taking night nurse??? I cant even work, and having kids at this time of year and being broke adds to getting frustrated with this illnesses, someone said I should try and stay on the 50mg till I least hit 6 weeks??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.