Panic Stuttering :( Please please help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey,

I m a 18 year old guy and well i stutter sad

I had it as a kid but quickly cured it,it got back when i turned 13 or so and still got issues with it.Good news are that i stutter only when i m NERVOUS,when i m not nervous(when i totally cool,bored or whatsoever)i talk super fluently.Sometimes i feel its not that super important,it will go away but then i realize it may wont and how will i talk to strangers,go to job interviews or so?

P.S I stutter mostly when someone asks me to repeat myself(then i totally get nervous and start stuttering(mostly to teachers))

Please help smile

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have stuttered off and on my whole life (and I am 70).   It only happens when I know I have to say something and I have time to think about it.  If I speak spontaneously I have no trouble.   It is the anticipation which causes it. 

An example is when was when I was in a queue at a shop counter I would rehearse what I was going to say when I got the front of the queue - and I would then stutter.

I have found that I generally did NOT stutter when talking to strangers  or in interviews - because I then spoke off the cuff.  I think you will find the same.

Do not over-think what you are going to say, just say it.

You called this thread "Panic ...".   I think you are overstating the case.  What you experience is not a real panic - and I know, having experienced both.

Best wishes.     

• Posted

Yeah my bad,not panic but you understand what i mean.

Have the same problem,when i think about what will i say(rehearse)i stutter.

So what to do?Just say it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.