Panicking about transmitting hsv 1 to bf via oral sex

Posted , 3 users are following.

I get cold sores semi-infrequently, haven't had one for a few months but it was a year since the one before that. I performed oral sex on my boyfriend but after a few minutes I remembered seeing a reddened area on my upper lip. It wasn't swollen or tingling, but it was red. I coudln't remember if I had tried to squeeze a pimple near the area or if it just appeared. I immediately stopped, but now I'm paranoid about having transmitted hsv 1 to my bf's genitals. I had been applying acicovir cream yesterday just in case but had no tell-tale tingling symptoms, hence why I forgot about it (if you've had a cold sore before, you recognise the early symptoms pretty much as soon as they occur). Today, the red mark is still there and I've been applying aciclovir every 5 minutes it feels, but there are no blisters. It feels a little bit tingly, but is not swollen and is not painful to the touch, so I'm not sure it even is a cold sore. I'm wondering if the tingling if just because I keep applying cream and touching it. As these symptoms all occurred the day after possible transmission, could it mean I have not transmitted hsv 1 to my bf, as it is known that it is mostly contagious from the first tingle until it's healed? 

On a separate note about asymptomatic shedding, my bf's mother gets cold sores but is very careful about not transmitting them. I have kissed him before when I had the tingle and when I had a full blown sore, but I had a cold sore patch over it, and I've kissed him loads of times when I could have shed the virus without showing symptoms. He has never had an outbreak to either of our knowledge. Cosnidering so many people have hsv 1, and he's been in close contact with 2 people during outbreaks (albeit one more carfeul than the other), would it be fair to say that he almost definitely has hsv 1 orally, either from me or his mother? Considering it has been months since we kissed when I had a cold sore, and he hasn't had a primary outbreak or any outbreak since, could he have had hsv 1 before knowing me? And would that decrease the likelihood of him acquiring it genitally?

Sorry I'm really panicking now and I'm worried that'll actually cause a cold sore. Any help on the matter would be great.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wow that's a lot of stuff going on huh? Well you know I'm sure I had to HSV virus when I was a kid now I'm 53 I still have herpes outbreaks but there are five or six years in between each outbreak maybe longer the longer you go with herpes itself it's the less outbreaks. I think it truly does make a difference. Try not to put it on so much to see what happens if it's just red all you should do is keep it clean cool dry and you yourself stay stress-free. Aspirin help keep the fever down. I'll take my three times a day when I'm broke out. I have rarely had a cold sore. And now my husband's ever got herpes or have HSV. Because back then I didn't know you could give herpes even though you didn't have an outbreak. But believe me I would know by now if I gave anybody herpes I think he may be a little paranoid because calm down that will make it worse if you are not careful
  • Posted

He probably has it and is secretly taking valtrex behind your back.
    • Posted

Wow that last statement was unnecessary. I would talk to him to heck with it honesty is the best policy if you really like him. You seem to really like him don't worry about if you will lose him or not if he likes you or loves you enough he will stick it out with you.
    • Posted

Also the redness did you notice it was still red after performing but you said you were doing for very long or did you not do it Mom think about that it could have been just redness from now but it may have not have been irritated if you hadn't of done that so figure it out before you start anything sexual again if you get all settled you'll feel better
    • Posted

It's now about 2 days since the redness appeared and the tingling has gone, it doesn't feel or look like a cold sore, especially because there are no blisters and when I get a cold sore it develops in a matter of hours. I haven't had a big swollen painful fat lip either. It's still a bit red but looks and feels more like a pimple than anything. I'll definitely wait and see if it gets worse. I'm paranoid about having given myself genital hsv 1 now though, but I've never had a primary outbreak (and I would've had one by now I think since last time I had a cold sore I kissed my bf and then he performed oral on me) so I think whatever bumps I'm noticing are probably just from shaving. I tend to get them around my period (i.e. when the hair grows back, causing bumps) and they look too small to be hsv blisters. I've also never had any tingling down there and whenever they appear they only last 2 days, whereas I think hsv blisters would take longer. Also, is it true that once you have hsv 1 in one place (i.e. on the mouth) it's pretty rare to later contract it genitally, because you already have the antibodies?

I can't help but think that my bf must have hsv 1 antibodies but has never had an outbreak, because if he didn't have hsv 1 antibodies he would almost definitely have had a primary outbreak by now, seeing as I've kissed him more or less every day for well over a year, with and without sores.

• Posted

PS where did you get that acyclovir cream because where I'm from Texas it's $7,800 it too because my insurance won't cover it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.