Paranoid about brain tumour

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have always been worried about a brain tumour since suffering for headaches forever. I'm 21 years old and my grandma died from a brain tumour when she was 24 so I have always been anxious that it would happen to me in my twenties. Like I said, I've always had headaches and I've had episodes of dizziness and been diagnosed with positional vertigo BPPV which went away a few years ago. Yesterday I went shopping and I felt so ill and dizzy, every time I went on an escalator I felt so dizzy and the feeling lasted all day, I felt really off balance and had a huge headache. It's also worth mentioning that I've had eye floaters forever and I've had an issue with panic attacks and overwhelming anxiety the last few months which is something I've never really experienced before. I am petrified of having a brain tumour but doctors always diagnose tension headaches etc. If anyone could shed any light that would be very much appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

... Forget to mention that I am continuously getting ringing in my ears too.
  • Posted

The first thing to say is that brain tumours are rare and even though your grandma suffered with one there is nothing to suggest that is the cause of your symptoms. You should consult a health care practitioner but my lay view is:-

BPPV can give unpleasant symptoms-I have had it - but it can be treated by a physiotherapist with positional exercises and some drugs help too.

tinnitus, as you describe as ringing in your ears, is common and can have may causes.

i suggest you get these symptoms checked out rather than worry you have the most extreme and frightening condition. 

In my life I have had all the symptoms you describe, have resolved them but they are wholly unrelated to the brain tumour I now have decades later. Headaches can be a symptom of a brain tumour but far far more likely to be 

to have other less serious origins.

if however you have obvious neurological symptoms, affecting your speech, gait, awareness etc then you should seek help swiftly. 

• Posted

I can also add that eye floaters are so common. Had them too, and while there are claims for treatment they are usually left untreated. They are not harmful and have no connection to a tumour. If you are that concerned consult an eyecare professional.

Best to ignore them and avoid focusing on vistas where they are more prominent, like a cloudless sky. You really can train yourself to ignore them and they do not affect eyesight. It is one thing to simply live with. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.