Parotid gland recurrent swelling from past 9 years

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've recurrent swelling in my left parotid gland from past 9 years. Initially the swelling would happen occasionally, once in a month or so but gradually its frequency increased. Now it happens 5 to 6 times in a day, associated with meals.

It is never painful and subsides on its own within in 30 to 45 mins. But sometimes the swelling is very huge and it presses on my ears, jaw, etc..

Now from a year i've a persistent diffuse swelling of 2 x 2 cm in this gland. I finally showed it to an ENT.

In India very few hospitals have Sialendoscope. My therapeutic Sialendoscopy in Delhi has been planned for 18th of March.

The MRI indicates stenosis, let us see if Sialendoscopy will releve my problem.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have similar problem for last 8 years, now i have persistent swelling harder than before, please let me know your progress. Wish you good luck!
    • Posted

iSeems to be so many variations of this condition. In spite of all the tests I've had which have been negative - no proper diagnosis has been given - I have had a swollen parotid gland now for going on for 18 months.  Sjogrens has been suggested but I do not have any of the usual other symptoms - so who knows.   I hope you both have some definite answers soon.  Regards

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. Wish you the best !!!
    • Posted

Have you consulted any doctor for this problem? What is the diagnosis?

​I'm just wondering that Sialendoscope can cure pathologies of ducts but this diffuse swelling  has to be in gland than how can this swelling be cured by this procedure. Anyhow now the waiting is only of a week, then I'll have my answer smile

• Posted

Doctor said mine was an infection of the duct. This requires local treatment through the duct. Anastesia is used ro minimize the pain during procedure. I'm looking forward to this...otherwise general antibiotics do not seem to be effective
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, may be same is the case with me.

​When will you go in for Sialendoscopy?

• Posted

I have to do this sooner, in my country we don't have experienced doctor to perform this. I' m waiting my friend to give an address of the hospital in oversees. Complicated... Anyways i have to try to stay healthy.
  • Posted

Have you had the procedure done? I have same problem.... hope everything went well for you! Please let me know! Thank You

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.