Partial Knee replacement of other knee

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am booked in for my 2nd partial knee replacement on my other leg ( on 28thAugust it has been nearly a year since I had my left knee done although it is a lot more stable and loads better than before I still have some soreness i. e . I wondered if this is the the same experience for others  at this length of time as i have heard it will continue to improve up to 2 years , I have done lots of cycling since i had the 1st partial knee and have been able to do a 100 mile ride  which is great news and encouraging for any one having theirs done . I m 54 years old.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That is great news that you can do so much, I to am 54, and have had pkr in both knees , the second just 2 weeks ago, and I have been worried to death that if I over do it, they might not last long , and will have to have the full knee in both, and the thought of that scares me to death too, I have only done 3 months on first knee so unfortunately can't comment on the soreness at a year, but will watch your post with interest, . I do a lot of hiking, was pretty  excessive , apparently , but won't be quite so much so in future, just want to be able to get out and do some decent walking, and feel I've earned my dinner at the end of it, lol
  • Posted

Hi Robert, I had a partial on the left outer side of my knee in January this year and I still get pain at the replacement site when I stand,sit and go up and down any incline. I have been a bit disappointed to be honest. I still use a walking stick on long distances and get quite a bit of swelling. My other knee is now hurting in the same place. I also do cycling on my stationary bike. I thought I would be able to swim by now , but that's not the case. I have an appointment vwith consultant at the end of this month so hopefully I will have some answers then. It seems to me that people who have full knee replacements seem to come along a lot quicker. Best of luck for the second op and hope the first one eventually improves. I am 59 by the way.

• Posted

That's interesting. I am 56 had my full replacement on 27th January and I can swim (not breastroke). So hopefully it will come back but strange as I though partial would recover more quickly than full.
    • Posted

Hi Susan , I had the medial compartment replaced which is the inside of the knee .I hope you continue to improve . For me it seemed every so often you get a break through and noticeable improvement.

Regards Rob

• Posted

Hi Robert, I had a TKR just over a year ago and yes I still get some soreness. I can walk well and don't get any swelling but I still feel it when I stand from sitting and coming downstairs. It's not severe but it's there. I'm hoping it will continue to improve. Good luck with your 2nd op.

Jen (TKR July 2014, age 65) 

• Posted

Jennifer. Thankyou for your reply , I will see how I get on with the 2nd one I hope it recovers like the first.
  • Posted

Hi Robert I had both knees done at same time. 10 months ago and I'm fine now. Don't think I could have gone through it twice too much pain.

• Posted

The extensive cycling may be part of the soreness problem. Any time you do repetitive motion on any form of prosthesis you are bound to cause the soft tissue adjacent to it to be sore. I've been warned about torque
    • Posted

Of any type and although I'm not a cyclist I 've been told the rotation isn't a perfect circle and if this is correct there is enough torque to make the soft tissue sore. I would suggest discussing it with an orth or at least a therapist
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply that is true it could be the minor impact from.the cycling .It will be interesting to see if it settles more while I am laid up with the other knee.

Regards Rob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.