Partially ruptured my achilles and in a cast, can i ask for a boot?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I ruptured my achilles 1 week ago and I saw a doctor and had a scan that revealed a 50% scan on the upper part of the tendon nearer to the calf muscle. The put my in a fibre glass cast, the cast is on so tight and I've been getting numbness around the heel and also I've only been able to sleep 2-3 hours each day because of the discomfort. I've been reading alot of forum posts, wear other people go straight into a boot. My question is, could I ask to have a boot rather than the cast. Obviously the same rules apply regarding sleeping in it, elevation, no weight bearing etc....

It's just I think I can cope better with a boot. I'm in Barnet North London, the hospital I went to was Whittington.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, am now on the 5th week after full ruptured. I was in cast straight away for 3.5weeks, total nightmare. I asked to go on boot earlier but my consultant said the longer you are in the cast the quicker your Achilles would heels. I take it you didn't have surgery? Neither do I and am now in boot for 5 days now, amazing.

How long would you remain in cast?

• Posted

Hi Peter I've been in a cast for 1 week and have about 2.5 weeks to go until be next appointment. Where I think they said they might put me in another cast with the foot at lower angle. I plan to beg them to give me a boot, even cry if that helps my cause.

But I'm also thinking of getting referred to Barnet hospital as that's nearer to my house, I wasn't too impressed with the other hospital.

• Posted

I hope they put you in a boot after your appointment, especially when you are only 50% ruptured. You should definitely ask for it. been in cast for longer than necessary is a killer, I hate it. Good luck.
    • Posted

I can handle the immobilisation and boredem, but the itchyness and tightness is killing me. Just need to beat those demons.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.