Partners point of view

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new to this my husband has been given citalopram 20mg for GAD he's been on them 17 days we have 2 young children and I work full time I've taken some holiday time to help as he's a stay at home dad but how do I know when to take a step back I don't want him to feel worse as he already worries that he puts to much on me I know that that is part of the gad and the meds but I don't want to take to much control

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi how long has your husband, been depressed, the best way to help him is by reading posts from here and see how the others are feeling, citalprom differs from person to person, the tablets usually pick after a month or more, what do u think is causing your husband's depression?, is it his first time or, does he drink alcohol.
    • Posted

Hi Richard thanks for your reply my husband is depressed he has GAD generalised anxiety disorder. It makes him over think the 'normal' everyday worries until it becomes so worrying that he has an anxiety attack 3 weeks ago was his worsed to date to the point were I couldn't control or calm him as he had so much 'bad adrenaline' he couldn't control it so docs have given hum cit the side effects have been horrendous but I'm hopeful that they will take effect and help
    • Posted

Sorry that should say isn't depressed
    • Posted

Hi u have to try to treasure him when he is worrying, once u panicked it will make it worse, my wife was not very helpful to me, that made me panicky more, but citalprom has done wonders for me, keep online feel free to ask anything.
    • Posted

I'm fairly calm when it comes to dealing with it I kinda just take it on the chin so in that respect all is well he's had a better day today not sure the weather changing is helping either
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear your wife wasn't helpful in that way Richard it's no excuse it is hard being on the outside but we as partners wife's girlfriend need to at least try and understand and be calm knowing that worry about something in our head can be tenfold in yours and we must be calm even when I worry about things I keep calm I have found that being honest and open no matter how big or small the problem is is always best as if I'm not he worries so much more
  • Posted

Its a tough one however he will need you more than he thinks he will so just play it by ear you know him better than we do? the meds he is on are they working they can take some time to properly get into his system you need to stay strong also as there will be good and bad days look after him and yourself especially xx
    • Posted

Thanks stevo I intend to give him all the help and support he needs it's just hard knowing when to stop I've never been a 'controlling wife' and I don't want him to feel that that is what I am becoming if that makes any sense
    • Posted

The meds seem to be working but he's only 19 days in the late afternoons evenings seem to be worse
    • Posted

Hi Tracey, I'm sure he'll understand smile even as difficult as it seems! 
    • Posted

Yeah they will take time however remain patient and he will be fine in nno time all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.