Paxil

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just started back on my paxil 10 days ago and my doctor added buspar as my anxiety is severe. My anxiety is so high right now. Will this subside?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Deanna, hang in there, your anxiety will subside eventually once things settle down if it gets really bad and you are not feeling any better go back to your doctor and tell them, I know it is really hard but that is what they are there for to help you .
    • Posted

Unfortunately Doctors seem to be pretty much in the dark about what to do when adverse side effects occur. The tendency is usually for them to UP the dose rather than see that the side effects from the drug are the problem. On top of that they may also prescribe another drug to try to counter the side effects for instance, if you are more anxious, then they may prescribe Xanax or some other tranquilizer which  is additcting and also has it's associated problems........so it can become a vicious drug cycle.  So beware. 

• Posted

I agree and am living proof but how do you get through when the alternative is to just end it all??
    • Posted

I totally understand I really do has there been anything to trigger the anxiety at all that you know of??
    • Posted

But that's just it lorraine, ending it all is not the only alternative. Well, you would need alot of support professionally and with those who love you......don't give up hope. It is possible....but as I said it will take some time....coming down off of  powerfull substances is a real challenge !  I am also proof of that. I got off the Paxil 5 years ago.....but again got addicted to Gabapentin, Klonopin, and ambien (taking them all for 5 years )...all of them together !  I was able to quit the ambient 3 months ago! (what a relief ! ),  and now I drasticaly down-dosed the Gabapentin from 900 to 1200 per day, to now just  50 milligrams/day.  I did this in 8 weeks so far. My battle is not over yet.  I still get some jitteryness, anxiety, and some insomnia ( I still take a tiny amount of klonopin at bedtime .25 mg ) but I am almost drug free at this point....I believe I will do it...I have hope !  And best of all I feel much better in all ways, physically, mentally, emotionally......those last 3 drugs were doing a job on me...so I am so happy to be almost free now.....so good Luck to you in your freedom from them too.  Regards.....JB

• Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head there JB  for me I dont really have the support and know that I will need it and patience, sadly the professionals appear to know less than I do, maybe that is a good or a bad thing who knows, but I saws one so called professional, one of many but this is how bad it can be, they said to me, if i was stranded on an island and was unable to have any of my seroxat I might feel abit bad for a couple of weeks but then I would be fine!!  It is so sad that there appears to be no professional I have ever spoken to, apart from my old doctor who researched it all from my own notes and listenend to me, but has now retired, so back to square one.

My family really do not understand any of it and have no idea, I think I have given up a lot of hope to be honest, however I really do admire you and your strength and determination, to see someone achieve what you have is absolutely amazing, I have known a few other people who have also managed to do it, but those people have also lost their relationships along the way.  

I wish you all the very best with your journey, did you sort of come of f of the paxil and transfer to the other medicines to get over the withdrawal of the paxil??

• Posted

It is a bit difficult for me to recall how exactly I finally got off the paxil, but I do remember it was not in a gradual taper that I explained earlier with the other drugs.....it was sort of sporatic and I managed with difficulty of withdrawal to fianally get it done....it was tough though i seem to recall but I did it......the other drugs were for another problem (a peripheral neuopathy it seems , or RLS...it was never clear on my diagnosis ) but after 2 years on those other drugs....side effects were just too much and I decided I would rather endure the discomfort rather than devastaing side effects of the drugs themselves.....Hope this helps....good luck. 
    • Posted

Also Deanna I know that morning anxiety and feeling more nomal at night, I dont know why that is unless it is just that you relax when the day is nearly done and then after sleeping the brain is more aware so the anxiety is worse again.  It is such an awful thing to feel and so frightening all at the same time.  I think also it is good to look at if there have been any triggers, any stress that you have been through lately.  If you are a female, any hormonal problems.  Also have a blood test to just check for thyroid function because having a problem there can cause anxiety and depression.  Know that you are not alone with it although you probably feel that you are and that you got through it before and you will again.

Try to keep your self as busy as possible especially on waking up, not easy I know.  Also accept that you are feeling anxious and that is okay too.  

• Posted

Hi deanna, I know the feeling.Morning is definately the worst. if you were on paroxetine before how long were you on it? get better soon.
    • Posted

But, what I don't get is how I'm so much calmer at night and a wreck all day lol

• Posted

I know but they say that is what anxiety does and also depression.  How long were you off of it before you went back on it??
    • Posted

I tapered off Ann they switched me to Zoloft but that didn't work. So they switched me back

• Posted

how long did it take you to taper off and how did they do it?? why did you come off was it as it wasnt working for you any longer and they tapered ou off to put you on zoloft?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.