Paxil/Paroxetine, anxiety and depression.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on 30mg of paroxetine for 8 weeks now and still not 100%. Constantly thinking about how I'm feeling and what might happen. I thought I would have "evened out" by now. Just would like to wake up in the morning and get on with my day without thinking "how am I feeling today?"

Anyone else on Paroxetine and how did you get on with it, how long did it take, etc.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey there ! i know what you mean.. i have been going through the exact same thing. I tried stopping paroxetine but the withdrawal symtoms where too much and I am now back on 20mg a day since the 5th of January. I just started to feel somehow normal again now.. and the anxiety seems to be decreasing and im not constantly thinking of bad things that are going to happen.. however same as you said.. i still dont feel 100% but getting there ! 8 weeks seem alot, maybe its best to check with your doctor.. 
  • Posted

I have been on it 15 years,  off for a couple years here and there.  I am just like you I constantly think about how I am feeling when I start back on it....Bottom line it youi won't even realize it but it is helping,  then one day you wake up and go hmmm haven't had a full panic attack in a while (doesn't mean you won't be anxious, everone is to an extent)  But it will make you better,  it is hard to do but the hard part is over,  starting on it now just let it do it's thing.  Careful though it will kinda give you a don't give a flip feel,  kinda numb,  not too up not too down. smile
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply, this is week 10 now. Do you think it is still early days? I have had good days just seem to be going through a bad patch at the mo, could be because its almost my time of the month so hormones are all over the place. Just wish that day would come when I wake up and think, oh I actually feel OK.
    • Posted

How long did it take you to notice the difference? I'm on week 10 ( 2 1/2 months)
    • Posted

Hi Sophie

I have been on 20mg of paroxetine for 7 weeks and 2 days, I won't go into hours and minutes although would probably be able to tell you. I am feeling a lot better most days, the dry mouth is annoying, but gum helps. Sleep is getting better and I have started back at work. My problem is headaches they seem to be more severe every few days and head is numbish most days comes and goes. Headaches are causing anxiety as I wake up worrying iam going to get one. Have noticed though back at work as a support worker I seem to get these headaches more severe. Maybe it is just the thinking and listening and using my brain at work again that is causing this. Somdays I just want to stop this medication. This is my first time on anti depressants. Did you have headaches? His are you now? Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

• Posted

How are you now? Not his are you now lol
  • Posted

I've been on paroxetine for about 13 years. Started on 20mg for panic attacks and depression, hot flushes.  Going through menopause and HRT wasn't working.   Honestly you don't really know it is working in the beginning. You just one day realise you are coping quite well and not having the panic attacks and in my case no hot flushes.  The only down side was weight gain and  loss of libido.  Hubby noticed I developed a bit of a don't care attitude, not in a bad way but not getting worked up over issues. I personally liked my new attitude. It is very hard to cut down dosage as side effects horrendous.  I stayed on the 20mg for several years then decided to cut back. I cut my 20mg into four 5mg. First week took 15mg on Monday then 20 for rest of week. Next week 15mg Monday and Thursday and 20 Mg other days. Third week 15mg Mon, We'd and Sat 20mg other days. Kept this up until down to 15mg each day. Stayed like that for 6 months then started cutting back same way to 10mg.  I have been on 5mg for about 5 years and quite happy to stay on 5mg. I have a terrible fear of flying and water. As I live on a small island the only way off is by air or sea. I increase my dosage the day before and the day I'm leaving which helps to cut down stress levels. My doctor said if I'm feeling great just keep taking them as it is such a low dose and if I'm happy, every one is happy.  Good luck and I'm sure you will get the benefits soon.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply (I have a cat called Maggie by the way :D) Can you remember roughly how many weeks/months it took you to feel better or at least notice a difference? I have had good days but when I'm having a low it just feels like I've been feeling this bad the whole time!
  • Posted

It's still the early days,  but it is working trust me.  It is weird when you look back you can tell a big difference,  you still might have a funky day or two feel a bit dizzy or just kinda blah but it is nothing to worry about just your body adjusting still.  The thing is you won't wake up and be completely ok,  but the thing is you really are,  the aprehension and fear is still there,  but then you find you adventure out of your comfort zone and it is a breeze,  the meds are doing their job but your own fear from experience might get in the way,  that is what happens to me anyway,  that constant am I ok fear,  or when it it going to happen next...You will be ok,  Paxil is tough to get off,  you have to go really really really slow,  but it does its job.  You will rock it no worries.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I know I have to be patient but its hard when you feel so low. Can you remember roughly how many weeks it took you to feel OK. I know its not going to be a miracle overnight and I know everyone is different.
  • Posted

Hi Sophie I'm totally in the same position as you I was on paroxetine for the past 2 and a half years it eliminated my anxiety I was able to be normal I weaned my self off by not completely and ended up relapsing this time I just started back up to 30 mg my regular dose and got all the bad side effects that I didn't get the first time I'm on week five and feel no improvement on my anxiety I am also afraid it won't work the same. My stomach turns I wake up anxious I'm also waiting for that day to wake up with relief again this time it doesn't get me tired or give me an appetite which worries me my arms get numb and still can't go places free and clear. How are you doing now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.