paxil use and dementia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I took paxil for ten years...now i read that it might possibly be linked to dementia.....feeling very worried..any thiughts or more educated answers?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont think so Judy. I have taken Paxil for 15 years ! Now I have been off it for over 5 years. I have not suffered any cognitive problems that I know of and I have never heard of anybody getting dementia from this.......so be encouraged.  Regards  JB
    • Posted

Maybe you should get off paxil anyways. Is it really helping you?  I got off due mainly to the adverse side effects......but since being off of it for over 5 years now, I don't seem to have had any lasting effects. My initial reason for doing it was for depression, but in the end it does not really help and is not worth the side effects....so I am happy those days are over. 

• Posted

Paxil (or Seroxat as we call it here in U.K.) has very few side effects in comparison to the old fashioned tricyclics anti-depressants. It saved my life! May be not right for everyone but it definitely helps me.
    • Posted

I have been off for almost two years....my friend told me to google it and I did .....I have been upset and just was wondering what others had to say.
  • Posted

That's very worrying. I've been taking it since 1994. A very long time. Where did you read this? Heather

• Posted

My friend told me...so I googled it under paxil and dementia and sure enough storys regarding it popped up...I know its just studies but it got me very upset...

• Posted

I think it would be too early to tell if their is a connection between SSRI's and dementia. Now if some years go by and lots of people start compaining of their taking of those meds with Paxil....then I would be concerned.  But their are so many variables that its hard to make that determination right now....but I an still understand the concern ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.