PCOS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 30 years old. I have been told by my GP that my blood test results suggest PCOS. I have looked into what my results mean online and I've gathered that it's not whether the results are in range or not but where the LH and FSH are in comparison to each other? My testosterone has also risen too.

My mum has PCOS but she is also diabetic. I had a random glucose test and HbA1c run but both are normal.

Symptoms I have:

Lumps in lower abdomen on left by pelvis, sometimes painful

Scanty periods Oily skin

Acne

Hair on nipples

Hair growing on front of body and face

I'm not overweight though. BMI is 19.5 (18.5-25 healthy range) and my weight is 7st8. I have hypothyroidism but this at the moment is suppressed.

So I received a letter from the referring hospital today and it asks me to go for a transvaginal ultrasound. I had to query this because I am not sexually active and I am still a virgin. The GP who referred me didn't say to the referring hospital that I have an intact hymen.

So the outpatients department has changed this to transabdominal and I have to drink a pint and a half of water before the scan.

My concern is what if the scan on my tummy shows nothing? The blood test result says I possibly have PCOS so I don't know where I stand after the scan is over and done with.

I am not trying to conceive but my partner and I are keeping an open mind with wanting kids.

Could anyone please advise?

Thank you

(Blood) collected 15 Sep 2015

Follicle Stimulating Hormone - 4.6IU/L

Reproductive hormone comments - results consistent with, although not diagnostic of, PCOS

FSH ranges: follicular - 3.5-12.5, luteal - 1.7-7.7, mid cycle - 4.7-21.5

Lutenising Hormone - 6.6IU/L

Reproductive hormone comments - results consistent with, alhough not diagnostic of, PCOS

LH ranges: follicular - 2.4-12.6, luteal - 1.0-11.4, mid cycle - 14.0-95.6

Testosterone - 1.2nmol/L (0.3-1.7)

Reproductive hormone comments - results consistent with, although not diagnostic of,  PCOS

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think the chances of your having PCOS are fairly high. With a full bladder the pelvic ultrasound should show up some cysts. But if not you might be well advised to proceed to the transvaginal scan which could be done under light sedation if neccessary. Because you do need a definative diagnosis.
    • Posted

Thank you andrew46586. With a transvaginal ultrasound would my bladder need to be empty?
    • Posted

Yes you would empty your bladder after the regular ultrasound provided they did it at the same time.  When I had mine they did a full bladder ultrasoud and then let me go to the bathroom and then did the transvaginal ultrasound

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.