Pcos acne - any tips/advice of things that have worked?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello ladies,

I've been diagnosed with pcos about 2 years ago now however I have been suffering with acne for about 11 years. Recently my face has got a lot worse and my back will never clear. My skin has also got really dry. Unfortunately I seem to have tried most pills/ tablets and creams. The doctors aren't very understanding and have basically told me there is nothing they can do. Of course this is very upsetting and I have depression and I also don't sleep well. (Unsure to whether I have a sleeping disorder or if it's the depression). These are only half of my issues.. I could go on.

So basically I was wondering if anyone has tried something that worked for them? I don't know how much longer I can take of acne.

Thanks in advance

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From what my doctors have told me birth control is supposed to help with acne. Are you on metformin?
    • Posted

I was on dianette for years but my back was still bad on it .. I've tried other pills and recently the mini pill has made my face worse so now I'm in nothing.. No what's that?
  • Posted

I have been on depo provera for years and I have very few break outs and ive never had acne, and or doesn't get rid of the problem but oil cleansing your face really helps to get your skin clean as most of the store bought stuff will just irritate your face, CloudyApples on youtube has a video about it and honestly it worked wonders for my skin. I have a similar problem with hersitisim (excess hair) everywhere and the drs are very very unsympathetic about it, I've suffered with it since I was 8 ive and im now 22 and no one seems to care really, I've had every cream out there been on all the pills and nothing is helping it's the worst it's ever been now and recently my gynaecologist told me I need to learn to love myself and that if I think im the only one I just need to sit in the gynacholgy waiting room and see that my case isn't the only one and even "normal" women have this problem ! I found that quite rude because I know I'm not the only woman in the world to have this problem but learning to love myself isn't going to stop me having to shave more often than my boyfriend and having all the hair waxed off (which takes my beautician 5 hours) for it to all grow back within 3-4 days, she has said that the NHS won't fund lazer hair removal because lots of women have hairy legs! I have no problem with having hair on my legs I know everyone has it but when you physically can't shave every day or I'll end up with the worst razor burns and ingrown hairs and lots of other lovely things it would be nice if someone took that seriously for once, has anyone else had this problem?
  • Posted

Hi Jessica

I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's. I'm now 44. I didn't suffer with acne straight away, but it started in my 30's. I would get what looked like boils on my back and shoulders and they were so sore. No matter what I used on them, they took weeks to go. I remember not being able to wear strappy tops or similar bacause they looked so ugly. After looking on the internet, I came across a cream called PanOxyl. I don't know if you've tried this. It comes in strength 2.5 and 5. Started off on low, but now use 5. As soon as I feel the acne starting under my skin, I apply this. You only need to apply a very small amount, as it does dry out your skin, but I can honestly say, I could not be without a tube of this. I also suffer with spots on my face occasionally, due to facial hair and having to use a beauty razor every day. Although it says not too, I do use a very small amount of cream on my face. But dryness can be a problem. If you've not already tried it, give it a go. I really hope it works.

Giid luck.

Jo x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.