PCOS and loosing hope?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has been n the same position as me and if anyone has got any ideas on what i could do going forward.

Basically i was diagnosed in January with PCOS after years of ttc and no joy. I saw my doctor who sent me and my OH for the relevant test which we completed. We were told that i would most likely be offered different treatments including clomid and metphormin as we are both only 23 ages is on our side. I was reffered to a consultant at the fertility clinic at the local hospital who i saw yesteday. he point blank refused any treatment and said IVF is the only route for me but in order to get accepted for this i would need to lose a futher six stone. I have always struggled with my weight and now i just feel so much pressure due to not being offered any other treatment than IVF.

Has anyone got any ideas on what i could do now as im feeling a little lost sad

Thank you in advance for your replies smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello reading this made me feel disgusted with what they said to you six stone is a lot of weight to lose especially with pcos how do they expect you to do it !! Have they told you why they can't give you any other treatments?? I'm kinda in the same position I went for my first appointment but becuz I have high blood pressure I had to change my tablets Iv been on them for 3 weeks now so I should be getting another referral soon smile but the hospital said the same to me that I had to lose more weight before I go back Iv already lost 3 stone and they want me to lose another 3 stone it's ridiculous sad if you ever need a chat im here for you smile xx
    • Posted

thank you beckii.

i dont know whther or not to go back to the doctors? do you think it is worth a try?

Thanks

• Posted

Yeah I think you should defo go there there's no harm trying smile just so your clear and what's going on x
  • Posted

Laura,

Metrormin will help you to loose weight (and it may help to regulate your periods so that you can conceive naturally)........I'd try this route first - might be worth discussing it with you GP. 

Alternatively, you could ask your GP for a 2nd opinion referral.

Good luck.

• Posted

thank you chris.

i am going to wait for my letter to come the consultant and then take this to the doctors with me when i go back to see my gp smile

• Posted

Your GP will probably receive 'the letter' quicker than you do and his/hers might contain additional information - ask to see your GP's correspondence (you have a right to access).
    • Posted

yes i will, i just find it difficult to get my head around at the age of 23 they can only offer me IVF, it seems crazy when there are so many different treatments i can be given/offered
  • Posted

Inositol will help you to normalize body weight - me helped smile
  • Posted

Hello Laura98214!

When I was 16 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had a couple hospital stays with severe stomach pains and multiple missed periods on top of my irregular cycles (12-150 days). I didn't really care at the time. I was a gymnast, my weight wasn't growing (110 pounds) and I was very happy with where I was. When I turned 18 I met my now husband. We dated for a while and after we got married we tried very hard to concieve. All attempts failed. I was later diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. The combination of both made it impossible to concieve. At this point I gained over 90 pounds and became severly overweight, depressed, and lost at the fact that I would never have my own children. They said iVF was an option but it wasn't something I wanted to jump right on. At this point I haven't had my period in over 10 months (the longest ever). When I finally got my period me and my husband frantically started testing my ovulation with kits we bought at the local pharmacy. We tested every single day sometimes twice a day. After 3 long weeks I was finally ovulating. Im writing to let you know it's possible. I got pregnant. And even better. I got pregnant with twins!!!!!!!!! I wasn't on any medication. I wasn't taking anything and I got blessed. It is possible! It does happen! Even though doctors told me I'd never conceive on my own, I did. Don't lose hope! Ever!

• Posted

I had this, was refused to even be seen by the gynaecologist because I was too overweight, that was 7 years ago and I have since had to have my gall bladder removed making it even harder to lose weight my cycle ranges from 14 days to 367 days I went back to my doctor and they tries putting me on meds to try instead so definitely try going back to your doctor and see what they say x good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.