PCOS and weight loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anybody have any tips or advice on loosing weight. I am trying very hard to loose weight, yet I am finding it very difficult and challenging! I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and so it has just become clear to me as to why I have always struggled so much to loose weight! If anybody has any tips and advice it would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I started slimming world it's a slow process but I'm loosing weight, it's really helpful I've lost nearly 1/2 stone in just 5 weeks which is normal for someone with pcos as we produce twice as much insulin than a normal person without the condition. Hope this helps and good luck
    • Posted

Thank you! I have joined weight watchers, but just find it so frustrating to see it come off so slowly when I am trying so hard.
  • Posted

I'm in exactly the same position, it seems really hopeless sometimes because my drs just say oh lose weight lose weight and you'll be better off, I've done stupid things like try and starve myself and I lost about 1lb I've even found after I've had things like a stomach bug that I don't lose any weight, it's very frustrating I've asked my drs about it but they just say oh try harder or exercise more, all I find is that I gain muscle so I'm gaining weight, which just makes it more frustrating, this has been a battle since for over 10 years for me and in 10 years of diets and extreme exercise I've gained 4 stone, I'm changing drs as my last Dr wanted me to lose 3 stone in 3 months which is impossible for someone without PCOS, I'm hoping there is something he can help me with like being put on metformin to control my insulin levels more
    • Posted

Yes I know. I have joined weight watchers and do regular excercise, and still either put on weight, stay the same or loose a minuscule half a pound! It makes me want to give up! 3 stone is a lot of weight to loose in 3 months and I'm sure it's not healthy to loose that amount of weight in such a short period of time. It's nice to know there are other people in the same boat as me! Good luck with trying to loose the weight! Thank you smile
  • Posted

Hi

I was in the same position but since my doctor prescribed metformin I am starting to see a little more weight loss maybe speak to your doctor about whether this will be a route for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.