Pcos hair loss, HELP!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with pcos. I have had symptoms since puberty, but having my last daughter jump started them into getting worse. Now i have new symptoms, and my old symptoms are getting worse. I have had issues with hair loss for almost the past year. Every time i wash or brush my hair, clumps come out. My bath tub/ shower is constantly covered in hair. I have tried every trick in the book. I've done coconut oil treatments, castor oil, egg, avocado, i use argon oil on a daily basis. I only wash my hair once a week or every two weeks, and when I wash it, I use all natural shampoos and conditionors. Pretty much every hippie remedy. I also take a multivitamin, and biotin every day. I am waiting to start my metformin until after vacation(dr said it would ruin my vaca rolleyes ) but I've heard the hair loss can go either way on metformin. Any help is appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if this will help, but you may want to try adding Folic Acid to your vitamins. It helps to strengthen and thicken hair. My aunt had hair loss and started taking it and biotin and it helped her. Also, there is a website called Chagrine Valley Soap and Salve (I believe that's correct spelling - it will come up on google) that sells organic, sulfate free shampoo bars. I've read stories similar to yours about how much certain bars helped. It might be worth a shot. They are inexpensive and last a long time. Hope this helps! Best of luck smile
    • Posted

Thanks! The metformin is actually started to help a bit with it, plus i've been taking the biotin religiously. My multi vitamin has folic acid in it, but i've thought about taking a seperate vitamin. I may try doing the shampoo bars too. 
  • Posted

Are you certain that PCOS is what's causing your hair loss...?

E.G. Could it be stress related?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.