PCOS support after Diagnosis ?? please help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All sorry I have never been on a forum before, don't really know how it works.

I was diagnosed with pcos about 12 months ago however it has come to light just recently that i may not have received the correct support to deal with this...I think I was just diagnosed and was told to watch my weight, has this happened to anyone before or is there more to it?

I struggle with my weight anyway always have, but the lack of self esteem and the body hatred I feel towards myself is sometimes unbearable, I can't face my partner touching me at all because I feel so disgusted and damaged it is causing problems, and then there's the part about children, do I want them later? can I have them? Will they be healthy if I did...do others feel this way too? Was there something else I was supposed to do at the time of diagnosis?

Any help anyone could provide would me much appreciated, thanks Emma x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma, 

I have had the same problem as you it seems when it comes to support. When I was diagnosed the doctors kind of said that I had it and that it could possibly cause difficulty with getting pregnant in the future and that was pretty much where they left it. That was around 5 years ago now. 

I recently went to the doctors with a list of health problems building up most of which I though were non related but as it happens, nearly all issues were indeed related to my PCOS. 

I too have always struggled with my weight and I didn't find out until my visit to the doctor that I am insulin resistant which is a common sise effect of PCOS. 

I suggest you research as much as you can about the issues that come with the condition and speak to your doctor about any problems you think you need support with. 

I myself am having to stick to a Low GI diet (Glycemic Index) inhope of shifting some of the excess weight that I have managed to put on so quickly. There is also talk of putting me on metphormin to help. 

I can't really explain it all as well as a proffessional so again I suggest researching it to get a better picture of how things work and why things are the way they are. 

I can also very much relate to the self esteem issues. It is extremely challenging but with the right support and good friends around you I believe you can do anything. I am only just really startign my own journey so maybe we can do it together with the support of our fellow PCOS sufferers. 

I wish you all the best in the future hun.

• Posted

Thank you very much for coming back to me Caterina.

Some pennies have been dropping now i have joined a couple of groups, the black hole i have been living in is a bit bigger now as now i know im not on my own, which is a big big comfort.

I can try and explain to my family and friends and partner a little more now and do feel quite angry about the way i was just left to deal with it, it shouldnt have happened that way.

i am currently on a weight management plan complete with CBT Training and other support clinics to help get my weight down and reduce all this anxiety i have surrounding me...

i just want to be balanced again, feel stable, when a complete stranger tells you they can feel anxiety radiating off me was such a shock to the system, i must be affecting so many people close to me, hence the struggles with my partner...no one as mentioned any medication to me yet but there seems to be so much i dont know.

Thank you for putting me onto a direction, i will do more research (i did look up at the time the acne the weight the hair growth) and try to establish something for myself...

i wish you the best of luck too hun, hopefully one day we will help eachother through all of this xxx

• Posted

You are very welcome Emma. 

Knowing you are not alone in this will be a big weight off your shoulders. It certainly is for me.

Good luck with everything.

xxx 

• Posted

Hello Emma, ☺ I can tell you there are many Women fighting PCOS. You just have to keep a positive mindset. Weightloss does help alot if you suffer from PCOs, when i was Diagnosed after I left the doctors the first thing i did was cry then i stopped, told myself crying being mad isnt going to help get better. I been fighting it very aggressive, Any and everything is possible. You have to eat healthy, exercise atleast 30 mins a day on the weekends just relax but on the weekdays i would workout. Stay Strong, Mind Over Matter, Lets Get it!
    • Posted

Hi Natasha,

Thank you, i know myself now there are many of us struggling with this and now i dont feel as alone in the fight as i did.

Im following the NHS live well/eat well guide, im under their management programme and get weighed once a week, there is the option for gastric surgery at the end but we shall see...not that i want to take the easy way out, i just want some sort of balance to come back, a balance in myself, to be able to enjoy life as i should, not forever in doubt and guilt and shame about myself! no very good at the positive part but i think following what i have done since october and gradually introduce some exercise and other bits should fall into place... xx

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed and was told nothing tge doctor asked if i knew what polycystic ovaries was and i said no yet he didnt really give me much information im 27 and havent a clue how long ive had it for. I had a baby 15months ago she is my 2nd daughter so odviously i feel blessed but i still feel extremely upset and down that i may struggle in the future. My daughter said the scan suggested i have polycystic ovaries as i have lost of cysts in both ovaries how ever he said he wasnt convinced so basically left me not even knowing if i do have it and having no knowledge on the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.