PCR RNA for Hepatitis C early detection?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was at risk of catching a STD 3 weeks ago, I did HIV quick tests along with the other person and we were fine, but after HIV my biggest worry is Hepatitis C (Since I'm vaccinated for Hep B and HPV, and most other STDs are curable)

In order to test this early (so I can stop worrying), should I do a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test? How reliable would it be at 22ish days? And should I do a quantitive or qualitative test (or other kinds?)? I will also do the regular antibody test, but I don't think it can detect this early.

Thank you kindly for any attention.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Normal Hepatitis C Antibody test is very reliable and detectable in only a week. 
    • Posted

Everywhere I read says that the antibody test is only reliable (as in the chance for a false-negative is extremelly low) at the 3 months mark..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.