Peak flow: morning dip

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've been told I might have asthma. I've been given ventolin and told to record my peak flow in the AM and PM for a couple of weeks.

At the moment my evening reading is fine, but my morning reading is quite a bit lower. It goes from about 300 to about 450. (Should be about 450).

I don't think 300 is particularly low but does the difference between the two readings signify anything? I know it's normal to vary throughout the day but by how much?

Symptoms are persistent dry cough, worse at night, often feel "winded" when talking, seem to get really bad chesty cough for MONTHS if I have so much as a sniffle. 

Thanks.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You sound like you need a better asthma med to last longer

• Posted

I've only been using it five days. My readings have been like this for a while.

• Posted

without knowing your age and height, I don;t know what your peak flow should be.  From my own experience, I should be around the late 500's.

I am only ever as low as 300 or so, when my medication is incorrect or I have failed to take it for a few days.

Your symptons suggest that your medication is not properly managing your condition by the end of the day and over night.

do you only take the Ventolin in the morning, or several times during the day?

Maybe you can talk to your doctor about longer acting drugs, as they can make a big difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.