penelope10875

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I belong to the PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) group and it was that group that suggested I ask for advice here.

Because of the PMR, I have been on Steroids for 3 years and will probably be on them for at least another year; not surprisingly, I have deleloped Osteopenia. I have so far suffered 2 fractures in my lower back. T 9 - 10 and L 3 - 4.

I have been offered Zoledronoc Acid or Denosumab. I wondered if anyone on this site can tell me of their experiences of these, good or bad! I am leaning toward Denosumab as it is mono-clonal, but I'm not really sure.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with osteopenia, I am, however a bit confused with your T score reading. (thats if they are T score readings??) Any below  a T score of -2.5 will be classed as osteoporosis.

This is my opinion - for what it is worth! .....   If you are still in the osteopenia range I would think very carefully before taking ANY drugs.  Concentrate on strength, resistance and weight bearing exercises (if you able) and take a calcium with magnesium supplement, together with vitamin D3. 

I was initially prescribed alendronic acid which I could not tolerate and have now been on denosumab (Prolia)  for 2 and half years with NO side effects. I have had a slight improvement in my T score (was -5.2, now 4.9)

Good luck,  I am sure you will receive lots of well researched advice from this site.  

• Posted

Sorry, the T is for Thoracic spine!

I've just looked at the T score, 0.1 at leftt total hip and -1.6 at lumbar spine.

• Posted

You will soon realise that everyone has (and is entitled to) their own opinion on this site. 

I would think very carefully about taking any drugs with your bone score.  Just try to treat it naturally with vitamins, exercise and a healthy life style.

I chose to take denosumab because my T score is so low. Perhaps I am fortunate in not having ANY side effects - no colds, no influenza, no immune problems. I've just had a full body scan and MOT as part of a research volunteer with Bio Bank and no nasties visible - long may it remain. 

• Posted

Those results do not warrant taking these drugs which are not without risks in themselves. Just go naturally with magnesium and vitamin D3 and walking and other exercises. Make sure you are having four serves of dairy or keeping your calcium levels up.

All the best.

• Posted

20-30 years ago i was on 22mg Prednisolone a day for 10 years. After starting Hormone treatment for Prostate Cancer I asked my GP about the double risk of bone thinning as this had not been considered when the consultant advised on treatment. The scan found I was T-2. I have not had any fractures happily. I am so sorry that you have. Osteopenia is as you have found NOT a minor matter as some assert. I am taking Alendronic Acid 70mg weekly (plus 2 Adcal-3D caplets daily) and I had slight tum upset on the second day after taking the pill for the first two weeks. I also had one moderatly severe heartburn about week four. Thereafter no noticable side effects. I have been taking the Alendronic Acid for about 6 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.