Penile Cancer- the unspoken disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have now been clear of Penile cancer for 2 yaesr. It is rare and little known cancer, despite efforts of Orchid, for example to raise awareness.For a man it is a devastating diagnosis. I am preparing to launch a " buddy " website to offer support and encouragement to newly diagnosed patients. Its a scary but treatable cancer and affecting roughly 1 in 100,000 men but on the increase. Testicular and Prostrate cancerrs are the celebrities but this one is the fearsome unpsoken one. Its time to get it out there. Do you want to help ?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi roydini, My great grandfather died from penile cancer. I understand how difficult it must be for men to say that they have this cancer. When telling family members about finding out how my great grandfather died (I had been tracing my family tree for medical issues) they laughed and said stupid things like, "Oh bet he was sticking it in all the time, serves him right!" I was HORRIFIED at their response!

I wanted to be a doctor so have lots of medical understanding but am amazed at how stigmatised this disease is. If a woman says she has breast cancer suddenly she is inundated with love and support but for a man with penile cancer.......? So I applaud you for bringing this out to the public and I do hope you get lots of men (and women who wish to support) signing up for your buddy website.

All the very best for your healthy future!

• Posted

Thanks Redwood Girl. Funnily enough I manged to findĀ  a lot of inner strength from this. . In my case the cause was almost certainly not having been circumsized when I was young. From the moment I was diagnosed I refused to google it. I just wanted it done. I was lucky. I have the emotional and physical scars but still have my faculties, and avoided ,despite three sessions of surgery, any drastic visual of functional impact. Others arent so lucky. My GP told me I was paranoiac but I had

my day of reckoning after the event, and he sat there like a broken man. If I had listended to him, I would not be here to write this.I now work with Orchid, the male cancer charity to try and implement a mentoring scheme, something which wasnt available to me . Its great to have your response. Thank you.

• Posted

Well done Roydini, but in all honeszty 2 yrs is not 5. I have friend on macm. has been fighting 7 yrs and now more tumors on her brain and lungs plus spine. Devastating, as she has so much to give to others. Pancrease is a bad one too you know. I'll close and wish you all best for next 3 yrs, Best, Daffs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.