Peptic Ulceration, looking for advice from people in the UK

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, i had a severe fever for 3 days and i took a lot of ibuprofen and aspirin, which i learned can cause peptic ulcers, this is my first time and i am wondering how common is the medication for non-bacterial peptic ulcer treatment in the local UK pharmacies?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

all I know is , if you have had an ulcer you shouldn't take ibruprofen or aspirin. I have never hear of it causing an ulcer
  • Posted

Hi

I've had a lifetime of stomach issues including a Duodenal Ulcer. NSAIDs (ibuprofen and aspirin and others) can cause Peptic Ulcers if taken long term. They have an adverse effect on Ulcer sufferers and can cause stomach bleeding. Recent research  has also shown that NSAIDs taken long term can have other serious side issues. But it seems unlikely that dosage over three days would give you a Stomach Ulcer. What makes you feel that you should have Peptic Ulcer treatment ? Are you having stomach pain ? If you feel that you have acidity or Gastritis you can counter that short term with Calcium Carbonate tablets 500mgms. But long term stomach pain requires a visit to the Doctor. But as most Peptic Ulcer sufferers are infected with the bacteria - H Pylori why would you seek non bacterial ulcer treatment ? As I say, if you have continuing stomach pain your doctor can test you for H.Pylori and offer quite effective treatment (3 sorts) to eradicate it. My guess is that, if you have stomach pain as a result of overdosing with ibuprofen and aspirin then they may have set up some inflammation (Gastritis) and antacids should relieve the problem. But if you have any sign of black stools caused by bleeding or if you have continuing stomach pain you must see a Doctor.

• Posted

thank you derek for your reponse, 

the reason why i am assuming i might have developed an ulcer is because like i mentioned earlier: i took a combination of NSAIDS(it was fast fever relief with aspirin, ibruprofen and a third, which i dont remember) and might have overdosed, in the following days to come i was forced to go to the toilet very frequently only to have incredibly clear(almost watery) stools. first couple of days i experienced pain coming to my stomach in waves. it was very difficult to sleep, often i would wake up in pain to go to the toilet only to have very little come out(very watery stool). the reason i have not reached out to a doctor is because i feel like i am somehow dealing with it and i would go to a doctor as a last resort. you could be right that it might be gastritis that is affecting me, in any case i am currently taking 75ml ranitidine hydrochloride tablets to reduce acid production, which should help in any case, i took my first pill couple of hours ago and was able to have a meal(i researched what to avoid when suffering with ulcers) without having sharp pain my chest for the first time in 2 days, i am not sure if its supposed to have such results so quickly and although i still have relatively low pain(mostly discomfort), i am very happy with the results.

i wish your all the best with whatever you might still be dealing with.

• Posted

I too have found Ranitidine to be excellent. It is one of a group of medicines called Proton Pump Inhibiters (PPIs) which as you know reduce the acidity of the gastric juices.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if your dosage of NSAIDS has not given you some inflammation which is being aggravated by acidity.

But your toilet issues and low pain are not very symptomatic of stomach problems.

Any sign of stomach bleeding would be indicated by black, tarry stools.

Your passing of clear stools is what happens when inflammation causes a jelly like sloughing of the gut lining.

So your problem sounds to be rather lower in the gut as though you might have inflammation in the colon region. (I take it you have never been diagnosed with Irritable bowel syndrome IBS ?).

Steer clear of alcohol for the time being - and smoking is a definite no no. Bland foods and glasses of milk are what you need at the moment - little and often. Try to keep some food in the stomach

Keep up with the Ranitidine - but don't overdo that either. You need some acidity in the stomach.

Because of my long term problems I like to ring the changes between PPIs and Calcium Carbonate (not both at the same time).

Best wishes with it. And don't suffer too long before seeing a Doctor. That's what they're there for !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.