Peri-menopausal and depression and huge move

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm suffering from peri, I know I am as I get so many of the symptoms, plus I am turning 53 soon. I also suffer a mood disorder and severe depression. To make matters worse, I moved countries (long story) and am totally alone, aside from a caring boy friend.

The problem is that, I can't be bothered to make new friends here, because I feel so darned awful. Today has been a very bad day, along with many, I have the curtains drawn and am in bed. 

I can't seem to settle here, even though I was born here, but never really lived in this country. Some days I am filled with despair. I am on a waiting list for a psychologist, but it takes MONTHS. 

I take no hormones and wonder if I should take an alternative, like a soya type thing? 

I am also currently not medicated for my mood disorder (because of the waiting). 

I don't even have the energy to speak to people, as I am always exhausted, nor do I have the inclination to. Which, really worries me. Because of all this, this my life has become a living nightmare if I am honest. With a few bareable days thrown in. I have no car and I cannot travel on buses etc., because of agrophobia. So I am really stuck. I have no idea what people could say to help, but I am getting desperate.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Callianne.

So sorry to hear about your problems.

I wish I could give you some answers, but you have so many things going on - each thing preventing you from getting out and getting help.

Is it possible to have a phone appointment with your Doctor, so you don't have to go to the surgery?

• Posted

hi callianne

Sorry you are going through this. I myself suffer from anxieties and depression and i get so tired myself at times i just need to get rest and sleep. My moods have been really bad this weak with my stress level I got really angry this week i have been crying a lot i have been yelling and i tried to put myself in the psych ward on Thursday. 

Now it seems when I take my ativan it has been making me feel dizzy, and making me feel like my heart rate is low or my blood pressure is to low 

I am on two blood pressure meds Losartan that i have been on for a long time and a second one called amlodipine because my blood pressure has been up and down yesterday it was on the low side which is good but with the Ativan i do not want it going to low so this morning i only took 1/2 an ativan with my blood pressure pills and wait until tonight to take a whole one

• Posted

hi susan, I'm sorry to hear of your anguish and I can only say I know how you feel. I was on Ativan a while ago and am now on Clonazepan (spelling?). It really helps with the awful anxiety. I am also Bipolar so its tough. Today was a little better. At times I feel as though one has to live day by day. It's the only way. x
    • Posted

Tell me about it. It is tough out there when you have a lot of anxieties and are on meds that make you sick than you have to stop them like my nurontin made me really tired, felt like i was going to pass out on that one raised my blood pressure and heart rate and then the Trazodone really hurt my stomach and gave me diarrhea and raised my heart rate 

only thing i am taking is the Ativan my psych doctor wants me off it and on something else because its addictive but with me being so sensitive to meds i don't know what is right for me now 

Wish i never was put back on meds in the first place 

• Posted

I'm also sensative to meds and in fact have developed a phobia of them. I am sure in my case, a lot more meds is the answer, but the anxiety of it is just too much at times. I am finding clonazepam perfect and I am not over taking it. (Increasing dose). So, far so good. Have you thought of hypnotherapy? 

I am studying hypnotherapy and the more I read here the more I want to make audio's etc, to help those with depression, anxiety and meno. Plus of course help myself! So its currently a work in progress. 

• Posted

Please let me  recommend some things for you  that might help you. 

I also had trouble with moods and depression. I tried flax seed oil natural supplement, and found great results. It helps to balance your hormones and takes you off the mood roller coaster.  In addition I also took a magnesium supplement.   This is also good for mood. 

I have found something from a company called UniKey called ultra H – 3.  I will be buying some this week for fatigue which I also have.   

A little exercise or at least yoga or stretching exercises might help get things going and help make you feel better.   Citrus smells are also supposed to be good for depression.   The above supplements can be bought online and shipped to your home home.   

if these things don't work after a few weeks or a couple of months, Abilify works great for depression.  Without side effects. 

please let us know how you are doing by coming back to the discussion group. I hope to hear that you're better after the supplements. 

to good care of yourself. 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and feedback. I do know flax seed works and I had completely forgotton about it. I am going to make a conscious effort to get some. I also need magnesium for aching bones etc., so will look at that too. I will give some feedback. I have been going on a lot of walks lately , but with fallen arches and other foot problems it's not easy, but I do love walking. Thanks again. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.