Peri Menopause at 44, indigestion, dizzy spells, tingly arms legs. Any advice.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello Ladies,

?Let me start by saying that this is a long post and I apologise for that, hopefully you will bare with me! redface

?I have been peri menopausal for I believe 4 years now. It started with terrible night sweats for a few months. Then my periods were erratic and heavy. I went to my GP had blood test which indicated I was going through "The Change". My mother was in her late 50's but had her last child at 43where as I started my periods at 11 and had byh my children by the time I was 22 and by the time I was 25 my husband had a  vasectomy so I no longer took birth control.

I had just 3 periods last year.

?I had hot flushes up to twenty times a day, I woke up multiple times in the night either very hot or very cold so did not have a good nights sleep. I gave up drinking Alcohol for January and I believe this has had a profound effect on my symptoms. I have maybe one or two hot flushes and sleep like a baby most nights. I have given up sugar and cut out rice, bread pasta and potatoes and I have lost 8lbs in the last two weeks. But unfortunately I still feel dizzy and have tingly weak arms and legs,sinus pain behind my eyes and nose, indigestion and a sensation of someone flicking me with an elastic band in different areas of my body. When I have a new symptom I convince myself that it is just a part of Peri menopause or I will drive myself insane!

?I have been to the doctors at least 6 times in the last 5 months and had numerous test so I believe I am not dying of anything but it still takes will power to not be scared of every little ache and pain.

?Thank you once again if you managed to make it all the way to the end of this post. Look forward to ready any replies. lol

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I have no advice. U have done a lot of great things to help yourself. That is great. I know how u feel and how scary it is with every little symptom. I too have dizzy spells, tingling, GI problems, random twitching, pains and general soreness. I have fatigue too -constant. Health anxiety is awful too.

I know healthy lifestyle can help a lot. I try to eat healthy but dp not exercise too much. I still drink coffee and have some sugar although less. I am on birth control but still some months are better and most are not. I hope it just passes. Tnx for shareing. It helps to hear that those sumptoms might not be serious. They are because of how we feel i guess.

Sorry for long post. Hop u feel better.

Some peopke take vit D, magnesium and B6. I do sometimes too.

• Posted

Thank you for your response, it is good to hear what other people are experiencing and how they are coping (or not). I can not imagine how our Mothers and Grandmothers must have felt, having to deal with all the symptoms and not having the access to information like we do today and to top it off husbands not knowing what was happening to their wives! I am lucky that I have a wonderful and understanding husband but at the end of the day he doesn't understand how it actually feels and I do not want to talk about how I am feeling all day long, so when I think I have complained to much I try and change the subject to something lovely.

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Don't worry!! I too have experienced what you describe, and after being on this forum for years, have seen others that have similar feelings. It's all due to hormonal fluctuations. The low estrogen can cause all kinds of weird symptoms. I also went to the Dr. because I was sure something was terribly wrong, but just my hormones going crazy. The herbs that have helped reduce my symptoms are: evening primrose, B complex vitamins( helps with your nervous system and all kinds of things) vitamin D, magnesium, and I put yam cream on my abdomen, i, you can usually find it at natural food stores...I also take cranberry extract in capsules because as things start drying up in our lady bits area, we are prone to bladder infections.. drink lots of water and I think giving up a lot of refined sugars and breads is good! Good for you! Some people take some other things like black cohosh,, you can research hormonal herbs and see what you think you need . Hope you feel better! And know there are thousands of us right there with you! 😘

Page

• Posted

Thank you very much for your response. I will be trying out your recommendations one at a time and trying it out for a couple of months then I can see what works and what does not, as these symptoms may continue for years I have the time!
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, im 48, in menopause, no period for 14 mths, have all tour symptoms for 2 yrs plus palpitations which have led to panic attacks and more recently panic disorder. Arthritic pains for 3 yrs, not bad tho this last year. Nodules on last finger joints since 3 yrs. hot flushes and night sweats a year ago, pretty much stopped now. Palpitations and panic attacks started 2 yrs ago. Bloated stomach and burping 2 yrs. dont drink, gave up caffein 4 mths ago, try to avoid bread, gluten, react to potatoes, sugar, spice. Migraine sufferer for 20 yrs but very rare now! One good thing! Elastic band pinging in same place on my back for last year. Main problem has been the terrible anxiety, palpitations and panic attacks, which i am getting treatment for as its affecting my life severely. Oh and health anxiety...had so much testing of stomach, heart, MRI brain n neck for pins n needles im arms, hands & weakness in limbs, which thankfully passed after a year or so. They don't call it the change for nothing lol. 3 women at work have confided theyve had prettyuch the same meno story as well as fepression, which thankfully i have so far avoided. Hope it passes quick and we get our lives back soon x

• Posted

Thank you for your response. We do seem to be going through the wars. A couple of symptoms I had not mentioned are clicking joints, my hips are very loud. I also have a clicky neck and shoulders. Your never sure if it is part of the peri menopause package or just a sign of getting older! Take care.
    • Posted

A bit if both probably! Ive had a weak lower back for years, mri showed minor wear n tear to neck, im 48, been pretty active lifting etc more than a small frame should! But past cple of years started with arthritic aches n pains in fingers, wrists, elbow, shoulders, others occasionally. That lasted a year or so but not noticed it much in past year since periods have stopped completely. Hot flushes n night sweats stopped a while back too. Its just the ibs, palps n bad anxiety attacks thats the problem now. Hopefully with meds and CBT that'll settle soon...we live in hope lol. Good luck to you, it can be a horrid time xx

• Posted

Oh and ive bought some high strength vit d, also been taking magnesium, B complex and omega 3 for a while. But i think i need a better magnesium than the cheap supermarket one, if anyone can recommend? Thanks!
  • Posted

hi.  I have posted this a few times now, my advice is to get your vitamin D levels checked, a blood test, being deficient can add to the problems.  That's the first thing, then look up menopause and the histamine connection online.  When you mentioned that giving up alcohol improved a lot of things, I thought of this.  hope this helps you, I found it is impossible to get rid of symptoms totally, as we have to go through the process, but doing everything to help yourself get through it and lessen some symptoms is worth the effort.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. My last blood test showed I am low in Iron so I am trying to rectify that. I will have more test to check other levels of vitamins. I took your advice and looked up menopause and histamines, i was vey informative so thank you for mentioning it. I do believe nutrition and exercise are a big reliever of symptoms. Good luck to us all.
  • Posted

I'm also 44yo and started all of this at 41yo been 3 years of horrible pains here and there. I am definitely going through the changes. No period for months at a time! The anxiety and vertigo is what's been bothering me now these days. It's horrible. Back pains too. I just hope we all get through all of this really soon!! Wow why do us women have to go through this!!?? Not fair!! But staying hopeful 🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Posted

Thank you for your response. I think we will all look back at these years and realise just how strong and wonderful we are. When I get through to the other side I am going to go on a long girly holiday and do some things I have wanted to do all my life. We will all deserve to do something spectacular for ourselves. lol

• Posted

Hi Samantha

I am 43 and have some of your symptoms. Anxiety, dizziness, elastic band feeling around my head, pain behind my eyes and nose, tingling in my body, etc.

I found out I have very low vitamin D, B12, and super low progesterone. Ever since I started taking those I feel better. I also changed my diet which helps.

I think being active is very important. I try to walk a lot and do yoga.

I hope you will feel better. Peri definitely sucks.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello, thank you for responding. The pain behind my eyes and nose started almost two years ago and it gave me headaches so I had my eyes tested and they said I didn't need glasses so I started to fear the worst and my GP sent me for a head scan, luckily they did not find anything. I still can not  believe the myriad of symptoms that are associated with Menopause. I am trying to be mors active. I think I would like to try yoga. Thank you, take care.

• Posted

Hi Samantha you and I are the same age and we seem to be quite at a similar stage too and for about the same time, I think I might be about 6 months behind you. I don't drink alcohol anyway and I am not overfussed on bread although I think I eat chocolate every hour on the hour. I am having terrible bleeding at the moment as well as all those sensations you are having there - this is week number 11 for crying out loud! I guess we have to hang on in there hey xxx

• Posted

Hello, sorry to hear about the awful period you are having at the moment. The tree periods I had last year were very heavy, clotty and dark in first few days but lasted 10 days. I had a period this month for the first time in nearly five months and that was light in flow and lasted 8 days. I wonder how things are for other people? Sorry if anything was too graphic, I am just hoping that if enough people have similar symptoms  then you feel less scared. Hopefully we will look at all of this in a few years and laugh! Take care.
    • Posted

Remarkably I didn't die in the night although I expected to from the blood loss. Anyway today my GP has put me onto a combined pill which I used to take and was told I had to stop at 35 as my BMI is 32. Apparently now you can take it right through to menopause. Wish me luck I am going to try it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.