Perimenopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just turned 48 in December. Haven't had a period since January 2016. Obgyn told me my hormones are all normal. I should still be getting a period. Now I need to get a ultrasound to check my uteran lining is not building up. My question is has anyone had this happen to them? Normal hormone levels and no periods??? Doc says, I am not in menopause but I have anxiety, palpitations,hot all the time etc. Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I didnt happen to me, but a coworker has this issue. She's 44, her hormone levels are normal, but no period. Her doctor put her on hormones to start her period. It worked the first time, but the second time around her period never came, so she stopped taking the hormones. I can't believe her doctor put her on hormones, this lady's Mom died from breast cancer.

• Posted

Hi, Dorothy,

Remember that what is "normal" for someone else, may not be normal for you. it's just a range of measurements that researchers and statisticians have come up with. That's evidenced by the fact that though you "should" be having a period according to your doctor--you're not. And, you're also experiencing some symptoms of menopause. At least your doctor is going to have an ultrasound done!

Please let me know how you get on! 

• Posted

It should be interesting to see what the ultrasound shows.

There might be a couple things to keep in mind.  Some women go into menopause with "relatively" high levels of estrogen.  Albeit, not enough to create a period.  This is because even after menopause our ovaries will continue to push off estradiol and testosterone, often for years to come.   And our adrenal glands are creating some progesterone.  So when your physician is saying that your "hormones" are all normal, my guess is he only ran the estradiol level, and that measurement showed within a normal range for the early stages of a cycle.  Possibly hovering somewhere around 50pg/ml.  It is a falacy that women entering menopause all have an estradiol level of 0.  However, no period since January 2016 clearly meets the defination of menopause, ie. no period for 1 full year.  

The only other thing that comes to mind is stress and nutrition.  Both of these have been shown to stop periods in their tracks.  

You may be one of those lucky ladies, who's ovaries are still producing enough to meet your need, and therefore you have very few common (expected)  symptoms of menopause.  But as we continue down this aging path, your levels will continue to decline.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.