perimenopause. How long roughly do the extreme symptoms of perimenopause last?

Posted , 16 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I am 46 and have been suffering symptoms for about 4 years. The last 3 months it has been awful. A really frightening experience. Depression,anxiety and panic attacks (about 6 panic attacks a day some days) Couldn't even drive to the shop. Palpitations and heart flutters . Severe pressure headaches every single day. Weak legs,tinnitus,not sleeping and restless legs at night,the list goes on !

How long will this last for anyone?

3 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I've been suffering since about 2013 myself hun

Symptoms come and go, currently the itching is back, horrendous, my arms, neck, scalp, legs, it drives me crazy, face,

Eyes get dry and sore

My right elbow has been playing up for weeks and I've just had to come and lie down as my backs in agony

It never lets up

Time some real trials and.scientific research was undertaken

Take care of yourself hun xxx

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it ? I can't believe hormones can do all this !
    • Posted

Yes for some of us it seems

I had a real shock

Never had any health probe all my life really

And very fit and active

I miss going out hiking and running up and down my staircase

I get out of bed in the morning as stiff as a board

Oh I don't know how long this thing lasts

Try to stay positive xxxx

• Posted

michelle, i had horrible migraine for four years which to be honest, I learned to manage, had no idea it was peri and hormonal.  then hit with those horrible symptoms that you have and that was last June, and like you the first 4 months were just horrible.  They have eased off now but I live in fear that they could return, as it seems from reading other ladies stories on here, that symptoms come and go.  I really sympathise that you are in the thick of it because those 4 months was just the worst time for me.  But they did ease for me and still get palps (have them today, all day!) but much more manageable.  hope that helps.
    • Posted

Yes it does thanks. It's hard to explain how horrible it is. I was so fit and always going places. Not now,stiff,weak legs,tingling extremities . My kids must think I'm always ill lately. The anxiety and panic is awful. It's like you have gone mad - nervous reck.
    • Posted

But nobody has anything positive to say.......

I mean nobody can say how long it will last

If you go back to how you were, I mean being able to go out walking cycling as before

Just recently my.lovely thick hair iand thinning

A girl could get really low...........

Fresh air helps me so much but I can't do much outside

I'm beat after work

Oh sorry for moaning BUT

• Posted

Michelle,

Peri can last from 4 to 10 years and for some women it can last longer. Just depends on the woman's body. Unfortunately I can't speak from a person who is post, I can only speak from my symptoms. My aunt has been post for some time and she is back to being active and enjoying life. She said every now and then she still gets a symptom but for the most part all the other symtpoms are done. You just have to take care of yourself. If you can't deal with the symptoms by all means talk with your doctor and see what you can take. It's really trial and error as everything doesn't work for everybody. There really is no positives in the symptoms, they make you feel horrible. All you can do is manage.

• Posted

i know michelle, its awful.  all I can say is that I thought during that really rough time that it was always going to be like that, and it wasn't, over the following months things got better, they really did.  as I said, the only fear is that these symptoms that you're having now, come back.  hoping not, but not so sure anymore.  been left with a stiff left arm, getting better too, but slowly unfortunately.   You won't feel mad after another few months, just like me, and a few months is just too long when you're feeling like that,  keep battling on!
  • Posted

So sorry Michelle

Eat well, drink lots of water ++++

Try to avoid caffeine

And alcohol

Fruit and veg

Soya is good

Vitamin B12

And rest because you just have to........

• Posted

Yes I am eating well and stopped caffeine about 3 weeks ago. It's a pain because with the acid reflux I have to watch what I'm eating. One day we will look back on this and it will be a vague memory.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle,

I was worse 47 to 49 I would say and I had my last period at 51.

First started getting symptoms poor sleep sore boobs and the feeling something wasn't quite right at 41.

I could still feel horrible sick and nasty after it was all done. But I think really the two worst years I felt horrible every day, if I wasn't feeling sick I be having palpitations and feelings of doom.

I was also not eating much my digestion was so slow and queasy all the time anyway, I was only eating because you have to and every meal felt like I'd eaten too much. Food shopping was a nightmare sometimes as certain smells in the supermarket made me feel so sick like it did when I was pregnant. I also was anxious and the least clatter or noise made me want to run.

I also ended up in the mental health unit with severe depression.

If I'd known at the time HRT was an option then I would have tried it but I didn't know what peri menopause meant so I just thought I was ill with some horrible disease that the doctors were missing.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply . It's horrible isn't it? Poor you. I am going to go on HRT hopefully next week.
  • Posted

Dear Michelle

I can sympathise with the panic attacks this seems to be the latest symptom with me, i hope it doesnt last forever, it does help that we are not alone with these awful symptoms! I presume everyone is different with how long theyvwill affect us for xx

• Posted

the severe symptoms may last less than a year, at the most, i would surmise

but have read reports of old symptoms coming back with a vengeance, so one should stay alert

each day is different, some days are better, some days may be really horrid in consecutive order,--- for me, evenings are definitely better than mornings

• Posted

Thankyou. I have terrible acid reflux and tight to breath as well. Been through these nightmare symptoms about 3 to 4 months now. I can't believe there are soooo many symptoms . Even my face buzzes lol
    • Posted

Crazy isn't it

My back has been hurting for ages but I finally really hurt it yesterday

Some days I feel like an old woman

Having to rest up today

Pity as it's lovely outside

. .....Mrs m

Itching all over

• Posted

I haven't had the itching but I've had tingling all over and creeping feelings. Today I've got terrible heartburn again and palpitations and still the headache
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I suddenly got heartburn about a year ago and out of the blue. Someone suggested I cut out wheat/gluten and amazingly it cleared up.Not always easy to stick with but for me worth no heartburn. You could always try for one or two weeks - you'll know pretty soon if thats it or not.

I also had tingling fingers and a little bit tingling toes. I started to use a B12 vitamin patch and also massage and after about five weeks it stopped. Very occassionaly I think I can feel it starting again and then I use a patch and it goes within two days. 

Good luck

• Posted

Lots of ginger for the reflux.

I was on proton pump inhibitors but they only made me have fewer bouts.

The ginger seemed to make it go. I took capsules 2 before meals and ginger tea made with fresh ginger.

I had got rid of this problem before I started using HRT.

• Posted

Have you tried bathing in Epsom salts for the aches and also the itching?

A good big cupful in the bath.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.