Periods getting further apart at 45yrs old. Is this the start of peri menopause?

Posted , 9 users are following.

It seems that my periods have starting getting further and further apart. I used to be very regular and have them every 28-30 days. Then a couple of months ago it became 35 days, then two weeks later I had it again but very slight. Now it's already 45 days and nothing. I have all the PMS symptoms but no period. My OB said just to wait till it comes. I've read in another thread about women getting lots of continuous bleeding, but mine is the opposite. I'm also getting mood swings, feel lethargic, have insomnia, and just a general feeling of blah! I've done a PT and it was negative. Just in case that was the reason for my missed period. I just want it to come already! Anybody else with a similar situation?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello

Yep, I'm exactly the same. My periods were always regular then they started getting further apart, then I was having them about every 18/19 days and I've just started again today and this one is 42 days since my last!

I'm 45 as well and feel exactly as you do along with acid reflux thrown in!

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Victoria 

no two women are the same ...  

Basically periods decline at different levels for each woman..

12 - 14 months no periods following peri menopause = post menopause 

( if no HRT or birth control is taken) 

HRT works for some ladies but HRT just postpones menopause and boosts the hormones back up, so when HRT is stopped peri menopause starts all over again ..

i didnt take HRT and didnt want to, i am now poat menopause age 51 

after a 9/10 year natural peri meno. ( using supplements and vitamin boosts) 

look up 66 symptoms of peri menopause .. Most ladies have some of those ..

jay x

• Posted

Changing period cycles are related to irratic hormone production.  The eggs you have left are not producing adequate levels of estrogen and progesterone to produce regular and normal bleeding.  Continuous bleeding and or heavy bleeding can be high estrogen stimulation without ovulatory cycles.  As I got closer to menopause, my cycles spaced out,  dwindling  to one every two, then three, then six months.  
  • Posted

Thanks ladies. I will check out that link. My mother never went through menopause cause she had a hysterectomy at 32 due to cancer. So she never had any of those symptoms. I discuss it with friends in my age group, but it's sometimes easier to find answers on groups like this. smile
  • Posted

When reason is your thyroid could be doing this. You should have your thyroid checked out because if it is low it can make you tired, have mood swings like depression and anxieties. I have hypothyroidism and my periods were always irregular plus i am on medication too. 

I would have your thyroid checked to see where it is because low thyroid can make your period irregular and it can make you tired also have your iron and vitamin d level checked with your thyroid too because low vitamin d and low iron can make a person lethargic so have all three checked out 

Good luck hope you find your answer 

• Posted

I had it checked some years back and was all normal. I'll do that again soon. Thanks.
  • Posted

Yes! My peri started with the same thing and I even skipped some months. Now four years later my periods are every three weeks sometimes. Sometimes not. I cant predict them anymore.
  • Posted

Thanks ladies! It's comforting to know that there are many others who are going through the same thing. And we just have to deal with each new symptom and experience as it comes. I guess it's all just part of being a woman! smile
  • Posted

Hi Victoria - I am 45 and the pattern you describe started for me this year - all last year I was still regular at my usual 25/27 days and the flow was similar but slightly different and I knew something had changed.  This year I missed a period, then a few regularly spaced ones, then a sort of period 2 weeks later and then a 41 day gap.  I'm pretty sure what happens next is anyones guess, which I am none too happy about smile I miss my regular cycle with none of the weird on and off feelings of various things being amiss.

I hope you get your period soon as the waiting and no knowing can be distracting.

• Posted

Hi there, my period finally came today and with a lot of cramping. I too miss those regular cycles that makes it easier when you know it's coming. We'll just have wait and see, cause this could go on for the next 5-10 yrs! Not really something to look forward to. And I'm not inclined to take HRT or any type of medication. If symptoms get pretty bad, I will try a more natural approach. Good luck to us!
    • Posted

I feel similar to you regards the HRT and have accupuncture to help me balance as I go through all this, I do think it helps.

Hooray that you got your period.

• Posted

Yes, I am 45 and mine kept getting further apart. The longest so far was 7 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.