Perioral dermatitis around the eyes?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been struggling with a pretty bad skin "rash" around the eyes since July. I live in sweden and have not had much help from the doctors here but I am due to see a dermatologist finally tomorrow. I have been researching almost compulsively about the conditions that could cause a rash similar to what it is that I have. It is very small papules that start as red dots without a head and then progress to small tiny pearls paupules that either linger for months or eventually disappear only for three or four more to appear somewhere else. The "rash sits atop quite red and inflamed skin. My eyes arent involved much and there is no dandruff or crust on the lashes or lids. Its only the skin to the side of the eyes and just below the lower lashes but never touching the lashes. It looks to me exactly like perioral dermatitis but only occurs around the eyes. Has anyone ever known of perioral dermatitis to exist around the eyes only with no symptoms appearing on the chin, nose or around mouth?

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I am obsessed. I took every known allergen and sugar out of my diet but have added a little bit of milk back with a cup of coffee and I occasionally add back nuts and once in a whil..and  cinnamon. (because nothing works anyway!) I did notice that when I ran out of non flourinated toothpaste and switched to refular flouride toothpaste. I had an enormous breakout the next days. Not sure its related. Finding the cause of this is like finding a needle in a haystack (this is what my doctor told me too...basically meaning...good luck...you're on your own!)

Also...tea tree seemed to help for a couple of days then got really irritated, blephaclean wipes calm the area but don't get rid of the rash...even though I really do not think its blepharitis.

Anyway, back to original question...does anyone know if perioral dermatitis can occur around eyes only without the "perioral" part. I guess this would be called periocular dermatitis?

Thanks a million,

Courtney

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I went through Perioral Dermatitis the past 4 months I was able to get lots of help and support from a closed Facebook group. They are a wonderful bunch of people if you are interested check us out. We have lots of information, we share product information and all our do's and don't 

Perioral Dermatitis USA & Beyond

• Posted

Yes it can. I have it and just today got it diagnosed by a dermatologist. Prior to this I had GPs prescribe me with steroids which is what caused it. I'm so disappointed with GPs. I've been struggling with this for about three years. I thought I had caffeine allergy, but its not. Basically now I just have to wait it out. I was told it would take 2 months and that it will get worse before it gets better. I'll let you know in 2months

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this. It's the worst!! I finally got diagnosed to and what made it go away is using nothing around my eyes...except surprisingly mineral eyeshadow and some organic mascara. I don't put any creams or lotions around my eyes and most especially no exfoliating anywhere near the eyes. It was steroid cremes that caused mine too! Very frustrating that gps AND ophthalmologists are not trained to recognize it because both prescribed me steroid creme!

When I do get a papule I leave it alone completely and make sure no lotions touch it and it goes away in 1/2 a day instead of two weeks like before with all the steroid and non steroid cremes! Also deep breathing to control anxiety about the situation really helped! smile

I hope you are done with this soon!

• Posted

I don't know whether this is any help, but there are a lot of people on the Methyisothiazolinone victims page with similar symptoms around their eyes.  Check to see if your shampoo and conditioner contain Methylisothiazolinone, Benzoisothiazolinone or Chloroisothiazolinone or Kathan.  The EU approved its use in many things as a preservative and you may have to check manufacturer's websites to find out if yours has it in.  There's a good support group on FB if this does turn out to be your problem.
  • Posted

Thanks so much!! I have not heard of this but I will check my products!
  • Posted

Perioral Dermititis around the eyes is called Periocular Dermititis and yes it can occur as well as Perianal Dermititis (yikes!).  I had PD and like most of you, I tried everything to no avail. Then I came across M&R Essentials Skin Tonic and Balm and their Intense Detox. I ordered it (from New Zealand so I had to call my bank first) and it worked! I did the detox and took the tonic as directed and then I would simply wash the area with peroxide (OUCH!) followed by a light layer of the balm (ouch then ahh) and leave it alone (once in the morning and once before bed). When I would wake up, a little more of it would be flaking off and my beautiful pink normal skin was underneath! Once it was gone, it was gone! The intense detox takes care of candida (a yeast) so it is possible that a good candida cleanse could do the trick as well. Candida causes a list of symptoms longer than my arm so the benefits of doing a cleanse are many! Good luck to you all, I hope this helps!
  • Posted

I'm a 50 year old man who has had PD below one eye, in the fold where it has sat, red and blotchy for nearly six months. I have tried every natural remedy mentioned and the only one that had any effect was manuka honey but that's too sticky to be practical in the work environment.

Anyhow, I finally got referred to a dermatologist last week who prescribed tetracycline- a mild anti-biotic that somehow controls the flare-up of skin, despite it not being a bacterial infection, but a relation to acne or rosacea.

He also told me not to touch it, or wash it as any contact aggravates it (I've long avoided putting creams on it but was frequently washing my eye with cold water thinking this would keep it clean).

After 5 days it has almost gone - thank heavens. Will post back if it returns but I think the tetracycline and lack of contact is the answer. Good luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.