Peripheral arterial disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi would like to chat to anyone who had PAD? I'm trying to quit smoking and walking 40 mins 3 times a week and swimming. Has anyone noticed improvement in this condition?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You, I too was recently diagnosed with PAD. Not many people have heard of it. I was told to lose weight, walk every day (even though my feet go numb) and push through the pins and needle type feeling and the pains. I was also told to quit smoking, that's quite a lot to take in. My GP told me to make an appointment with the practice nurse and get dietary advice. The receptionist cancelled my appointment as I was just about to attend, saying that all I had to do was lose weight and the nurse couldn't help. They also told me to take low dose aspirin and simvastatin. I got a dog and walk briskly for 2 miles every morning before work, I went to the local chemist and enrolled on one of their stop smoking courses, which has proved invaluable, and joined slimming world and lost just over 2 stone. My cholesterol was down to 5.3 in May and I am going to have it done again this week, before taking statins.  There is so much bad press around statins,  and trying to get impartial advice about them is nearly impossible. I was also given a Fitbit (by my daughter) to check my step count and activity level. I aim for 6 miles per day, with an activity level of at least 60 minutes. I feel there is some improvement. You must always look after your feet, I no longer cut my toe nails but file them with a nail file, my feet are often like blocks of ice so I always wear thermal socks, a foot spa every day also helps, especially with the aches. I have found that I can walk a lot easier the more I gradually increase my daily targets. Saying that, I still have days when I just want to sit with my feet up (only human after all). I have to say that the support I have received is all down to me looking for myself, my pharmacist is brilliant, and the smoking advisor is second to none.  All the supermarkets offer the stop smoking service but I prefer the local chemist. I wish you all the best with your quitting, that is probably the single best thing that helped improve my PAD.

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. You have done so well. Since being diagnosed with PAD I have been walking 5 times a week. I've no idea how far but have increased slowly to 50 mins per session and now without stopping. Like you I'm aiming to increase this distance. I also swim once a week. I still get cramps pain in calf when I rush upstairs? Also freezing feet and numbness. I'm on a no smoking plan which is on an app on my phone where you do it gradually. Ive cut it down from 20 to 5 per day with my aim of quitting this in 2 weeks time. I'm on Clopidigeral 75mg Atorvastatin 80mg Ramapril 10mg. It's great to know that you can improve this by doing the right things. Well done Lorraine

• Posted

What a fantastic result with the stopping smoking result. WELL DONE! I have a nicotine lozenge which I will probably get addicted to, as I have before! I am gradually reducing the lozenges. Maybe you can download an app to measure the distances you are walking, personally I like the numbers, my fit bit measures active minutes, distance, sleep patterns and I can also put in the food that I eat to count calories too, although I go to slimming world to get support with weight loss. I have started taking simvastatin 20mg this week and have felt awful, twitchy legs at night that keep me awake. My chlosterol is normal now and I am going to speak to the Dr about stopping the simvastatin as I am a bit lethargic due to the lack of sleep, which in turn doesn't inspire me to go walking. After all, I went to the Dr to get something for my PAD not chlosterol, and I wasn't offered anything for that. Is it the ramapril for PAD, if so I will look into that. It is so nice to communicate with somebody with the same condition, who understands, thank you for your reply. Keep up the good work with the quitting smoking, and once again for the progress so far. Take care and keep your feet as warm as possible. 😀😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.