Peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does anyone here been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there yes I was dignoised over twelve months ago my neurologist said it was all the alchol abuse I have done it's  so painful the burning the numbness I am in pain every day worse at night I have been on many tablets amytripylyne for one but now on a tablet called pregabalin it's early days but seems to help me she did say if I stopped drinking alchol it might get better  ii am in the process of trying to do something about my drinking so who knows it could get better when I have quit the alchol fingers crossed
    • Posted

Jsvkie  seems we've both slipped up. How are you doing now?

• Posted

Hi vickylou I have bran better I read your post earlier sorry your having a bad time hugs x I have been to my first meeting at rehab I have another in the middle of Jan people their were so friendly I was so scared and I did not know how intense the 14 wk program is I have still not decided if I can do this 
    • Posted

Hi jsvkie32726, my son went to a 12 week rehab facility but he stayed only 8 weeks of it and did pretty well.  He has not drunk since 22nd September.  He has been diagnosed with suspected peripheral neuropathy by his GP this morning.  He has to go for some blood tests in a couple of days

• Posted

I am sorry to here your son is having problems I hope he does not get that dignoised with it I had blood work they came bk ok vitamins and all but I was put on thiamine and b 12 tablets as that is supposed to help I also had a nerve conduction test that's when I was dignoised with the condition your son as done realy well staying of the booze I hope I can find the iner strength to do rehab I wish your son well keep me posted
    • Posted

Thank you.  I am not sure what finally prompted him to go to rehab.  He was in hospital for the fifth time last Sep.  I remember one of the young doctors gave him a pep talk and told him that he ought to go and see some of  the people in one of the wards who were in an advanced stage of liver disease.  Whether he did go to the ward or not I do not know.  after a 10 day stay at hospital where he was detoxed, he was discharged and decided there and then he wanted to go to a rehab immediately.  However, he was told by our Alcohol and Drug Unit (his keyworker) that to go via the NHS would take a minimum of 2 months but he could get into the same rehab privately within 24hours, which is what he did.

He is doing pretty well now, fingers crossed, and will certainly keep you posted.

• Posted

I am glad he's doing realy well please do keep me posted as I would like to know how you are all doing your story has inspired me thankyou
    • Posted

Please......Stop!  You can do it.  My neuropathy got out of hand, and I had the 'worms crawling under my skin' sensation up and down my leg.  When the doctor immediately said alcoholic neuropathy I sensed he knew exactly what it was.  I stopped my heavy beer drinking immediately, 6 tall ones a night, and shifted to a non-alcoholic drinking routine.   Now, at 77, after an abstinance of 20 years the neuropathy is still with me.  I try to imagine if I had not stopped what the symptoms might be.  Switch to cannabis if you need help in stopping alcohol.  You can do it!
  • Posted

Hi. For many weeks I've had a burning sensation at the top of my foot and sometimes a bit higher up the ankle, which was swollen on a couple of occasions. It can be worse at night, but only mild pain/burning which doesn't affect me working out etc and sometimes not there at all. My heaving drinking is typically a bottle of wine a night; often more; no medication. I play squash and go to the gym. Could it be peripheral neurothapy caused by drinking do you think?
    • Posted

Yes unfortunately, that is what the GP suspects so he has uped his Vitamin intake and given some cream to apply on the feet.  He is waiting for his blood test results.  Will keep posted.

• Posted

I have this but not officially diagnosed....its not such a great problem...its just tingly all the time...feet and hands.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.