Permanent afib

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello I'm 48 and I have had a fun that we know of for the last 4 years.for the last 4 years... I have had numerous cardoversions and I have had a ablation.

I have now been in an admin episode for approx 3 weeks...my heart rate averages 140 to 200 BPM when sitting and spikes when I just walk across the room. I'm tired all the time I have no energy. I forget things and I am confused slot. I get dizzy and fall occasionally I am always out of breath. The last 3 or 4 days I have had severe chest pain.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bruce, sorry to hear about your AF experience. I went on a similar journey albeit I was in my early sixties having picked up a chest infection on a business trip, then pneumonia then AF. From running in the park every night I couldnt even walk up the stairs without a 160 BPM pulse. My second cardioversion worked and I have had five years of almost normality but the dreaded AF has retured this year and number three cardioversion is coming up. Not sure what medication you are on but mine (Bisoprolol and Ramipril) seems to work and keeps my pulse at 80 to 90 BPM unless I do anything strenuous. You have my sincere sympathy but dont give up just keep trying.
    • Posted

Thank you..and good luck to you.. I am on metropolis..200 mg a day ..eliquis 20 mg a day

and amiodarone 300 mg a day... I see my cardiologist again tomorrow they want to put in pace maker now..we will see

• Posted

Hi Bruce, Greetings and our very best wishes. Trust all is well with you.
  • Posted

Hi Bruce, You every right to be concerned in my opinion. If I had your symptoms, I'd be calling an ambulance to myself!! It was the same symptoms you are describing that led to me going to hospital by ambulance with heart failure and being diagnosed with a a severe cardiomyopathy!! Prolonged high heart rates like this are not good, in fact, they are potentially very dangerous!

3 weeks WOW!! I'd be doing something about it after 3 hours!

GET IT CHECKED OUT  ASAP!

You need to see someone about this and get it under control!

These days I find that I sometimes overdue things and my heart rate gets up around 100bpm (nowhere near as high as yours!). When this happens, I take a Sotolol ( a med that have been told I don't need since my ablation back in April) and it seems to slow me don quite nicely.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.. I do see a cardiologist this morning. I will update after..BPM are hovering around 140 this morning...
  • Posted

Bruce, you need to get to the ER for those chest pains asap. Better safe than sorry and at least if they check you out and u r ok, you will be able to rest easier.  Good luck!!
    • Posted

Thank you...you are very kind. I see the cardiologist this morning. We will see how it goes..it's funny I get the chest pain and also pain in my throat and jaw area....I'll update later.. Thank you...

• Posted

What type of ablation did you have? Burn or freeze? Just interested because i did the freezing one which is suppose to be more accurate. Hope you get better!
    • Posted

Thanks I had the burn...did not know about the freeze. I will ask the cardiologist today. tks
    • Posted

Hiya. Ive had both. Cryo in Dec 2015, 80% successful. Burn May2016. Still recovering, and still having episodes, however getting more able to identify triggers now. Fatigue, dehydration etc. Also, after the cryo, did stop the racing pulse. Return to Doc in Sept for review.
  • Posted

Bruce, get yourself admitted!

I used to have very high pulse rate wbefore I had an ablation to eliminate my WPW.

Then I was informed I have AF and suffered from fainting spells and bouts of low blood pressure. My heart rate dropped dangerously low.

I have no insurance and cannot afford ablation or expensive procedures. My cardiologist recommended a pacer. Installed mine in December 2015. I still have bouts of low blood pressure which leaves me weak. With the pacer calibrated to keep my heart rate above 50 bpm I am in no danger that my heart would flatlined again.

My pacer helps.

• Posted

Yes.. I see a cardiologist this morning..... I ll update after... I appreciate the feedback.
    • Posted

Thank you.. I am going to the cardiologist this morning. I believe the pace maker is the next step for me..happy you are doing well with it..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.