Permanent Red Skin on Face

Posted , 2 users are following.

For as long as I can remember, I've had red patches around my nose similar to the following picture (not me): https://i.ytimg.com/vi/9lRxB-rECio/mqdefault.jpg

It's permanently somewhat red, but if I touch them *at all* they flare up more.

Last year (although I believe the issue started way before) I noticed that I had tiny bumps on each cheek, starting at my temples and ending around my ear lobe, and that the whole area was red. In addition, it became apparent that actually my entire face is slightly red with the exception of my cheek bones which look very pale in comparison.

I asked a pharmacist who said it looked like vitiligo, but my GP confirmed it wasn't and gave me some steroid cream and anti-rocesea cream; neither of which make any difference. They won't refer me to a dermatologist though as it's only classed as cosmetic.

Here's a list of things I've tried that haven't made any difference:

Exfoliating; moisturising with E45/'regular' creams/pure organic coconut oil; drinking more water; cutting out sugar and generally vastly improving my diet; exercising; not washing my face at all; not washing my hair for a few days; using the creams I was prescribed; microdermabrasion; using/not using makeup; changing washing powders... and probably more that I haven't thought of.

I just want to know what it is and how to improve it as makeup doesn't cover it unless it's an inch thick and it's starting to affect my confidence.

If anyone has any suggestions or needs more information, please say and I'll respond ASAP.

Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It actually looks a bit like a lupus rash. If you had lupus you would have other symptoms too I would have thought, so I am probably wrong.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Having just looked up lupus rash, the area of my face that is red is almost the inverse of it, i.e. the 'butterfly wings' are pale (normal skin colour) and the whole rest of my face is red.

• Posted

Please see a picture of one side of my face to see what I mean about the distribution of redness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.