Permanent Tinnitus from flying

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to the site. Hoping to chat with anyone who might have had a problem similar to me. To cut a long story short, to provide a bit of background I have had permanent tinnitus since a short 1 hour plane journey 11 years ago. I've learnt to deal with it.

Fast forward 11 years and on Fri 1 Aug I told a short 30 minute domestic flight. Since waking from sleep the morning after, I was diagnosed with Otitis Media with Effusion (inner ear fluid). It seems I wasn't able to relieve my ear pressure on plane's decent/landing and while sleeping overnight, a negative inner ear pressure sucked fluid from my ear walls.

that fluid hung around for about 14 days but 21 days on, I'd say there's about 5% still left. Immediately after that flight I had fullness in my ear, headaches, tight feeling in my face and occasional dizziness. What's doing my head in most is that the tinnitus I've always had increased in volume too. In the evenings and overnight it is at its worst. What I had for about days 1-14 after the flight and not since day 14 as much is pulsating in my ear. It was worst at night but also when I was indoors in smaller enclosed locations. It was a very fast drumming pulsating, about 20 times faster than the average heartbeat. I've seen my GP (doctor) 3 times and I've never got referred to ENT. Also, done two courses of antibiotics called Amoxycillin and Distaclor as there was a bit of ear redness seen when then inspected. My appointment today (day 21 since flight) the redness is gone.

overall, if anyone has experienced anything like this or similar I'd be interested to know your experience mostly about the tinnitus problems from the flight.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

welcome to the incurables. 11 years seems a long time before your concern has surfaced. Sadly ,the answer to your problem is, ""live with it"" as we all do.

There is no cure,as yet, nor one in the.near future  #possible hearing test might

help with the volume, You know the drill G.P---referal--- wait for appointment, and wait.

• Posted

I to have severe tinnitus and allergies,along with the balance issue,yes no cure as yet ,there is a super site to go to will PM you with it,they totally understand what your describing,go have a chat with them ,there explain what's going on better than a dr or ENT.Best site ever Scank,do go and look,promise you won't be disappointed ,friendly bunch,who truly understand YOU.
    • Posted

Some sites don't like passing on other sites,will send you it,it's a good one to sign up to,I pass it on to anyone who wants it Jacqueline,especially if there having a bad time as Scank is today.some get on with tinnitus and some don't go take a look .Its Tinnitustalk .com lets know your take on this site,you may have already been on it.its good.
    • Posted

Hi Marlene. It looks fab and I registered. I read a post from a girl who had similar problem to me. I can't post until my membership is a day old so I will message her. Thank you.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that,it's the pits of a condition ,I've had it fair few years ,but it's got worse past 8 years.when you talk to others ,you don't feel as isolated,that's why this site ,and TT are what you need .its a good support  what's needed. As only ones with this can understand it ,and the knock on affects ,as it's not just hissing ,ringing you get with it,so it's a must to be in contact with these sites ,plus on TT there's 3drs on board with this condition that's the bonus with TT site.Wishing you all the best ,hope to see you both on site,and seeing you post,with any input you can add to it.they welcome all tinnitus sufferers.lovely lot.Stay in touch.
    • Posted

Tinnitustalk . Com all one word.Scank got on site,keep trying,I'm on site ,so all okay there end .lets know when you get on,where are you.?im in UK
    • Posted

That's baffling to me,Skankadoo  got through yesterday,he was on site last night,asking about his T,

I will tell Markku or Steve who set TT up,your having problem gaining access,yes your putting in correct,same as I gave Skank,he's in ,never said on his pm he had any problem. Check your not leaving any gaps in Tinnitustalk,probably not ,they get fair few join up,every month ,I got on first try,when I joined.Hope time you get this your on  will get on and see if your names on site now since you asked.

• Posted

Try typing it into a Google search, it should be the top result.  If you have any problems registering let me know (I'm SteveH from TT that Marlene mentions below - don't usually link peple to it though as it feels a bit wrong as a moderator there to poach other forums).
    • Posted

tried in vain 6 times and was rebuffed every time You are not poaching,

I WANT TO JOIN ASAP

• Posted

Hi, Please could I have the site address as I am desparate to find some help as am really desparate. Thank You

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.