persevere or stop due to sleep problems with citalopram.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

I started having sleep problems three weeks ago. I went a couple of nights with no sleep and the anxiety caused by this was immense. Any way I went to see the doctors and after no sleep for two days was in a emotional way. Doctor prescribed me sertraline. After three days I stopped taking them and changed to Citalopram 20 mg due yo the horrible side effects.  I am now day 13 into the new drug and the sleep problems have intensified. I was well aware of the possible side effects and to say I got it bad is an understatement. The first week I experienced total anxiety and panic with little or no appetite. I have not been able to get to sleep without Nytol and i wake up after a few hours or have no sleep at all. The meds must of kicked in now because I don't feel any anxiety about not sleeping at the moment. Since my original problem was anxiety about not sleeping i would say this drug has helped a little but in the short term has prevented me from sleeping. A real catch 22. My question for the forum is it be better to persevere or to return to my doctors and ask to tapper off this drug and try other methods of curing my sleep anxiety and the insomnia that comes it?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Im on week 8 of 20mg. I have been experiencing the same problem with insomnia. Last week it started to return and over the last week it improves every day. Depends on how long you can put up with it. Ive been more tired sometimes than Ive ever been but it helped with the anxiety so much I was willing to put up with it.

Louise

• Posted

Week 8!! I'm not sure I could take five more weeks with no sleep as I can't keep taking Nytol forever. I start some CBT tomorrow so hopefully this might help. The problem I have is my job requires me to be alert as I'm a high voltage engineer. If I could only get back to my sleeping pattern I had prior to all this 3 weeks ago I'd feel fine or maybe this is nieve.
    • Posted

Oh believe me, sometimes I have been convinced Ill never sleep again. It has been better at weekends. My first "real" nights sleep was last Wednesday night, I looked like someone had beaten me the next day. Hey jusr cos its been so long for me doesnt mean it will for you.

Louise

• Posted

Before your first nights real sleep have y been using a sleeping aid or just persevering? If I don't use a sleeping aid I just lie awake all night. I have not stayed awake for two nights in a row because after one night's no sleep I panic and turn to a sleeping aid. In your opinion would it be better to ride out he no sleep instead of using a sleeping aid? 
    • Posted

A significant known side effect of citalopram is insomnia but as you were prescribed it for just this reason, the doctor must have thought your anxiety was part of the cause and citalopram would help overall.  Some side effects do take a while to ease off unfortunately.  Maybe a lower dose would still help with the anxiety but not cause so much problem with sleeplessness.
  • Posted

Hi...I am in my second week of coming off cit but I slept better I think when on the drugs altho had real weird NITEMARE dreams..a side effect. I still wake usually three times a night...a commen problem for woman anyway ! I try to meditate my mind clear  of things which occupy my mind along with anxietys...but I can lie in in the mornings unlike you. I have also resorted to turning my kindle on and reading just a chapter of a good book..takes your mind off worrying about not sleeping..I know also several ladies who don't take cit but can't sleep and get up and watch complete tv series in the middle of the night...so we are not alone in this problem...!
  • Posted

Hi Stephen.

having been on cit for seven years, and just had a nightmare coming off them, my unqualified advice would be to come off them and insist on being referred to a sleep clinic. I can't believe how many  different  reasons there are for doctors to put people on these strong, mind-altering drugs.

• Posted

Agree with Jane...cit is not the answer here ...there are so many GPs though who work in ignorance ...
    • Posted

I'm going to speak to the doctor and try a lower dose and see if the insomnia eases. 
  • Posted

I have to say though and you will find everyone tells you this...it takes several weeks for the drug to get into your system .i felt worse tne first 2/3 weeks definetly..so He may say stick with it a bit longer until you have really tried it...
  • Posted

Hi, if your anxiety is caused by not sleeping I would address the lack of sleep, not the anxiety. I am grieving for my recent loss of my dad, main problem being lack of sleep as. Having nightmares about it. Doctor gave me citalopram, side effects were so awfull I stopped them and went onto zopiclone sleeping tablet every other night, sleep no prob with no side affects what so ever, much better solution I would say if your anxiety is simply caused by lack of sleep. Good luck.
  • Posted

I have full sympathy with you Stephen and to anyone experiencing sleep anxiety.

Here are two books by Sasha Stephens you must read if not already:

- The Effortless Sleep Method

- The Effortless Sleep Companion

Common sense advice but they do make a difference if you follow them to the letter.

• Posted

Hello Stephen, I had the same problem with you. O just want to know how are you right now? I hope you can reply to me. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.