Persistent AF - Long term effects

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with persistent AF in May, had a cardioversion in July and was taking Bisporolol and Flecainde. I started having side effects from the Flecainde and stopped taking (after seeing my consultant), but the persistent AF came back after about 3 weeks. I'm now on Dronedaron & Apiaxaban and waiting for another cardioversion in January.

My question is, as i'm mainly asymptomatic and only feel the jumping in my chest at night, what are the long term effects of staying in persistent AF? I hate the current drug cocktail and the thought of ablation scares me. I appreciate i would have to be on a NOAC and rate control it's the other drugs I don't like. Is it likely that I would get more symptomatic over time?

Thanks

Stuart

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stuart

You should be on a blood thinner with PAF i.e. Warfarin. I had an ablation around 5 years ago which worked a treat but in some cases like mine only last 5 years I have just recieved a date for my second today in 2 weeks time.

The new Freez ablation only takes 1 hour and you leave in 4 hours. I have to have the old sort and prob stay in overnight.

Good luck.

Andy

• Posted

Hi Stuart - there is still a risk of a stroke with persistent AF, albeit a reduced one on an AC. Unfortunately over time the heart muscle takes a beating from the erratic heartbeats and gets tired, loosing strength in various ways. Best talk to your cardiolgist! So keeping to medication that helps the regularity of the heart beat is probably a very good idea but take expert advice before you chuck in any of the medications. How long did you try the flecainide for? The body is remarkable in the way it learns to tolerate drugs. If you reacted fast after a week or so I suggest you reconsider and try again with the consultants agreement.
  • Posted

I've got permanent-persistent Atrial Fibrillation that is totally under control with Digoxin and Carvedilol, along with Warfarin. I've had AFib, Diastolic Heart Failure, Asthma and Insulin Resistance, for over 30 years and, over time, at 72, my health has significantly improved. 

The meds have been pretty good at preventing my AFib from disrupting the beating of my ventricles (tachycardia). So... in essence, the top part of my heart is in a constant state of electrical disruption, while the bottom part of my heart is in a much calmer and more functional state.

I've also found that a small meal, low carb, low glycemic, low calorie, balanced, healthy diet; and avoiding irritants and stimulants helps to reduce troublesome heartbeat irregularities.

Here are some of the triggers which negatively effect my AFib:

Caffeine

Medications

Supplements

Cigarette smoke

Alcohol

Pollution

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

Allergens

Chemicals

Too much carbs/sugars in my diet

Best of luck and health! lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.