Persistent cough associated with anemia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

This might be a completely off the wall question, I was recently found to have a hemaglobin level of 6.4 for which I am on high doses of Iron, I have also noticed that I have had a persistent cough which began just before diagnosis (so not the iron), could this be directly due to the anemia? or is it more associated to the fact that if I over exert myself at the moment (this could mean literally just walking to the toilet) that this is causing it? Any ideas I would be very grateful for.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Maybe the high dose of iron may have affected the immune system increasing the chance of an infection. A side effect of the iron dosage, perhaps.
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks for replying, no it's not the iron suppliments as it started before I was on them.
  • Posted

Hi, not sure if this will help you are not but I started a bad cough about July and after several trips to hosptial and doctors they discovered I was badly anemic a week or so back. I have had bad chest pains and the cough seems to get worse when I do anything like walk or move about. So, may be they are linked
    • Posted

Hi, that sounds exactly like mine but without the chest pain, I have been on almost compleete bed rest since being diagnosed,  hemaglobin count  was 6.4 when I think it is 12 normally, I went for a little walk in the copse at the back of our garden (getting so bored with bedrest) and started coughing so definitely think it is to do with exertion. Thanks again and hope you are feeling better soon.
  • Posted

Hi,

I suffer from ulcerative colitis and whenever my hemaglobin and iron levels are low, I have a terrible dry cough. I have had every workup, chest xrays etc and the doctors were always mistified. I found a research study linking persistent dry cough & anemia in women. I told my doctor and he hadn't heard of it. For me, the cough is terrible and is always a sign that I need iron infusions and/ or blood transfusions. I see this was posted a year ago but it may help someone who is looking for answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.