Persistent symptoms, FOBT Positive, please help !

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,  please excuse the longer post, I'm quite worried and feel like more detail will help in gaining an insight, so please bare with me!

History: 

I am a 27 year old Male with a family history of bowel disorders. My mother was diagnosed with celiac disease a number of years ago although she mentioned to me that the last tests showed it had resolved. She has also had a few polyps removed.

My mother's mother (my grandmother) also died from Bowel cancer in her late 30's. 

I've had IBS-type symptoms for years usually aggravated if have too much milk or glutenous food at night time. Never had any testing done though.

Current Symptoms / Test Results: 

I have been having loose bowel movements every day for many months now (9-12) 

Diet isn't that good, and I started to drink more (most nights have a few glasses of wine) and eat more take-out in the last year which seems to (maybe) have coincided with the change in bowel movements and rectal pain (discussed below).  I am of normal weight.

My stools are consistently of a porridge-like or mushy/loose consistency and sometimes liquid-like as well. I can't remember when I last had a "regular" bowel movement. 

The colour can range from brown to very light brown or pale, and when it is more liquid-like it is usually a dark colour. 

Lately I have also been experiencing intestinal gurgling on and off and seem to notice it more after eating. 

I also feel a kind of discomfort in the rectum, a dull ache that is persistent as of late, feels like inflammation? Specifically under tailbone area internally.  If I rub the area it brings slight temporary relief.

I have had a fobt (Faecal Occult Blood Test) done which 1 of 3 samples came back fobt Positive. This is partially why I am alarmed. 

I had a Calprotectin test done which showed 7.60ug/g. This is within normal range. An elevated faecal calprotectin level (>50 ug/g) indicates potential Inflammatory Bowel Disease like Chrons. But because my range is normal I am assuming this rules out IBD. 

My colonoscopy is scheduled in a weeks time, and I am having an abdominal ultrasound to check my gallbladder tomorrow as requested by my doctor. 

Question: 

Since my colonoscopy is in a weeks time I am hoping to get some kind of closure or information that may give me a better idea of what I potentially may have? Given the symptoms and tests results, is cancer a probable diagnosis? 

It seems like all my symptoms and test results considered, cancer seems to be the only diagnosis left on the table. 

I know it's impossible to say before the colonoscopy, but I am really hoping for an insight into what it may be and what to expect? I am quite worried. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think you should have all your tests and then you will know what the outcome is.

It is not good to jump to conclusions before the information is to hand (i.e.might be this/that)!

Good Luck - keep us posted

• Posted

Please bear in mind taht anything commented here is opinion only, we have no medical training. I will say that you would be in the unlikely age range for bowel cancer, and that if you've been Googling symptoms, it seems no matter what you put in as symptoms, Google will come up with cancer!

To be honest, just from reading, I would think the alcohol & diet are the most likely cause of your problems- the fact you notice it more after eating seems to suggest it's an intolerance of some kind. Have you tried keeping a food/symptoms diary? That may help you pinpoint a dietary cause. The reality is, until the colonoscopy, your symptoms could cover a whole range of digestive problems besides cancer. Crohns, coeliac, ulcers, dairy intolerance, piles are just a few that spring to mind. Test did not rule out IBD, it could be mild/early onset. All you really can do, which I know is the hardest part, is wait for the colonoscopy & results. Best of luck.

• Posted

Shazsilverwolf

Yes I agree - we have just experiences of cancer or other bowel illnesses that may have happened to ourselves / or loved ones.

we are definitely not professionals (i.e. doctors etc etc).

Other Patient On-Liners -please note this info. It's all down to experiences that we may have had.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.