Perthes Disease "Johnny Jump-Up"

Posted , 3 users are following.

A Johnny Jump-Up is a swing /jumper that hangs from a door way that allows babies to jump.

​If you were diagnosed with Perthes Disease or are a parent, did you or your baby use a Johnny Jump-Up?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My son has perthes disease. When he was little we bought this jumper for him but he wasn't interested at all so we didn't really use it.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I felt that the way the legs are spread in the jumper, that it could be a cause. My son jumped alot and really seemed to enjoy it. When children are this young, and the bones are not fully developed, it makes you wonder what is to much stress. My son also jumped on a trampoline at a very early age. 
  • Posted

Hi yes, my son had Perthes and had used the "Baby Bouncer" pre-walking a lot. I have always wondered whether that was a contributing factor to his Perthes condition which showed at 4 years, and was treated successfully with surgery at 5.

• Posted

Doing more research.

Have you or your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, relative, or anyone you know had tuberculosis (TB)?

Respectfully,

Bettye

• Posted

I had Perthes.

I do not recall using a bouncer.

My Perthes was diagnosed late (around 9-10 yrs).  

I have also worried about the cause of Perthes.  As a young boy, I used to run from the back garden to the front garden, jump up into the air, then land on the slope at the front of the house on my hip.  Personally, I suspect that there is a potential link between that and my Perthes.

At the time of diagnosis (1981) there wasn't much info about the disease or its origins.  From the limited research I have found since, I understand that circulation issues may be a contributing factor.

I believe that circulation issues may be caused by micro-bleeds due to impact.

Just a theory, but maybe there is something in it?....

• Posted

Hello,

My name is Bettye and I have a son that is 36 that had Perthes Disease, he had a hip replacement in 2014.

Like you, I have researched this disease to find the cause.

Have you or your parents, grandparents, any relative or caregiver had (tuberculosis) TB?

Please as your relatives.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Bettye

• Posted

Hi Bettye

My son also had Perthes.  First symptoms followed a virus at 4 years.  He had been active on the Baby Bouncer at around 11 months but not once walking at 13 months, and I doubt that caused the bone to soften such a long time afterwards.  Dr said it was most likely a genetic growth problem, but we've had no hip problems on either side of the family that we know, nor any tb.  you could contact the Perthes Association to see if they have done research?? I hope your son's hip replacement was successful and that he if now pain free and without difficulty.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.