petrified I've bowel cancer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Would really appreciate some advice. I went to the toilet a while back and the toilet wouldn't flush. I left it for about 15 mins or so and when I came back know there was what I can only describe as a cloud of blood around the poo. I'm petrified it could be cancer. There was no blood on the toilet paper it just seemed to seep out of the poo while it was in the water. Any advice would be appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph,

It could be a result of something you ate.

Anything with red dye (Kool-Aid), beets or a large amount of tomato (tomato soup for instance) could give your stool a red tinge.

However, if it is blood, it isn't necessarily cancer.

Ulcers, conditions like Crohn's disease and Colitis, Diverticulitis, and even intestinal parasites can all cause blood in stool.

My advice would be to talk with your GP about your issue. He/she can order a stool culture examination or a fecal occult blood test that will detect if you really are bleeding, and if so, schedule further testing to give you a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply have been to doctor and they have done a cea blood test and have given me a fecal occult test to do over the next 3 days. I think I'm making myself imagine symptoms now because I'm so stressedon't about it

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel.

I've been having GI issues for the past few months, and Googling my symptoms was a horrible idea. Just makes you assume the worst and raises your anxiety level. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow morning and I'm hoping I'll get some answers and good news.

In any case, glad to hear that you've taken the appropriate steps with your physician, chances are that you're fine. 

• Posted

Yes, see a gastroenterologist and tell them just what you wrote.

I can think of a number of reasons for this that do not include cancer.

If you see bright red blood or stool that are black and tar like, or look like coffee grounds, go to urgent care.

Take a deep breath, we are all here with you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.