Petrified & so very anxious

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

It all started with a sore coughing throat 6 months ago and now I have an endoscopy tomorrow...

Been to ENT whom diagnosed Globus & had chest x-ray in Feb which was normal including full blood test. My breathing is that of when sucking on a mint, cool sharp breathing pains either in my throat or trachea, I really do not know what to think anymore!

I have had an endoscopy before with sedation about 16 years ago when they thought I had an ulcer but I had gallstones...

I am petrified the doctor tells me after the procedure that they have found something and its cancer or they have taken biopsies waiting for the results....I am so scared!

Sorry, just very worried for the results tomorrow, I feel like sobbing.....

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Kay, They always take biopsies during endoscopy. There wouldn't be much point in doing one if they didn't! And you almost always have to wait for the results too. In fact, this is a good sign. On the rare occasions they find anything really serious they can usually identify it visually through the scope, and the patient is warned to expect recall to the hospital within a few days.

You're getting way too scared about this, honestly. (I'm a former nurse, btw.) There are all sorts of causes for the globus sensation, but cancer barely figures on the list at all. In fact, a fairly common cause is anxiety - which you seem to have a lot of.wink There are all sorts of other common causes too, including acid reflux (which can also cause coughing and a sore throat). And if there was anything really sinister going on, it would have shown up on the chest X-ray.

And don't forget that at least half of endoscopies are carried out not because the doctor believes there's something wrong, but to reassure the patient there isn't! Once the endoscopy is out of the way they'll be able to start treatment for whatever is causing your symptoms. But don't panic if they don't find anything at all. This is not uncommon in cases of globus.

• Posted

Hello

Thank you for your reply my nerves are shot to the point where I want to cancel it for tomorrow.

My reflux is so bad at times that it wakes me at night as I feel it coming right up to my voicebox, its an awful feeling. I have been on PPI's for about 1 month or 1 and they did nothing, the throat was still the same hence why I am thinking cancer will only cause this reflux ongoing!

Can you just explain 'This is not uncommon in cases of globus;, what do you mean, sorry nothing makes sense to me anymore...sad

Its the waiting that petrifies me the most too...I HATE feeling this way like my life is coming to and end...I am 35 and feel so down because of all this worry....

• Posted

Hi Kay,

I meant it's not uncommon to find nothing wrong at all when doing an endoscopy on someone who has globus. But that's not to say you shouldn't have it done, as it's important to have a look at what's going on anyway. In fact, you've given me another piece of the puzzle now, that you didn't mention first time round. If you have acid coming up into your mouth at night, you pretty obviously do have acid reflux.

You need to understand that cancer doesn't cause acid reflux. In people who are very unlucky and who neglect acid reflux for years, it can happen the other way round - persistent acid reflux can damage the oesophagus and bring on malignant change. But it certainly wouldn't have caused any significant damage in your case, as you've only had it for six months.

You really haven't got cancer and your life isn't coming to an end.

I have acid reflux too. I don't take PPIs because I've found I can manage it myself. My night-time attacks went down dramatically once I started raising the head of my mattress slightly. (An extra pillow does the job for some people but I kept throwing it out in my sleep!) I also kept watch on foods that made the reflux worse. In my case, the worst offender is bread, particularly if eaten late at night, but everyone has their own triggers. Being overweight is another common cause. Even if you're on PPIs you still need to look at your lifestyle and help yourself a bit - though I know doctors don't always make that clear.

Another common cause of acid reflux is ANXIETY. When you get anxious your abdominal muscles contract, whether you're aware of it or not, and put pressure on your stomach, forcing the contents upwards.

Once you've had the endoscopy and the results, it might be a good idea to address your anxiety. You're not in a very good mental state right now, aren't you? Have you thought of trying to get CBT? I know it's not readily available in some parts of the UK, but it can be very helpful for anxiety. The other option is for your GP to put you on anti-anxiety meds, but it's best to avoid those if possible, as they bring their own side-effects.

Please try not to worry so much. I know the waiting can be difficult, but as I said earlier, if they saw anything very serious during the endoscopy they wouldn't keep you waiting at all. They wouldn't wait for weeks if they really did think you had cancer. It's a case of "no news is good news".

• Posted

WOW me reading your message seems to have calmed me down a little, honestly, my anxiety is to the point where my stomach feels full, I struggle to swallow (maybe in my head), as when I read about esophageal, stomach, bowel, colon cancer I all get the same symptoms that what I have this is what is making me stress!

I have seen 3 GP's whom all say it is anxiety, 1 ENT professor (best in my area I am told) - I went private to the ENT as my GP's refused to refer me plus now seen the Gastro doctor & he says if I had stomach cancer I would be dead by now (GREAT! that makes me feel so much better).

I burp continuously and have done since my gallbladder was removed but the reflux I now feel (not all the time) coming up to my voicebox is something new to me, in the last 6 months it has happened 3 times and once when I bent over to pick something up..

My throat feels like something is sewn on to it on the right hand side all the time and when I move my throat or windpipe if you like, I can feel discomfort so now I feel that I may have a tumor in my esophagus or trachea!

My doctor has referred me for CBT & cant prescribe anti anxiety meds as I am on warfarin for life and have been on them since I was 16 due to DVT & PE..........now that is another worry for me maybe its my liver as sometimes I have crushing pain by my diaphragm like something is pushing up into my chest it cripples me at times and it feels like all the energy is drained from me......the doctor kind of said it could be a hernia.

I am overweight & smoke...

Sorry for rattling on......

• Posted

Most of the symptoms you're describing here can be caused by anxiety. When a doctor says your symptoms are due to anxiety that's not because he/she isn't listening to you or doesn't believe you. Your symptoms are real and your doctors know that. Anxiety can cause actual physical illness.

Swallowing, like breathing, is one of those things that is easily affected by anxiety. These are things we normally do automatically, but we can bring them under conscious control as well. Therein lies the problem: as soon as we start thinking about them, we start getting odd feelings. If you really had a tumour in your oesophagus or trachea you'd be in a lot worse state than you are now. You'd have lost a lot of weight (unintentionally) for a start.

That thing you're describing about having acid come up in your mouth when you bend over happens to everyone from time to time. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it before now. I'm afraid it's not going to be helped if you're a bit overweight.

Please get some help with your anxiety. This is clearly at the root of all your problems, and it's really putting your physical health at risk. I realise this isn't a good time to give up smoking altogether, but even a slight reduction would help. And every pound you manage to lose will put slightly less pressure on your stomach. Think about it.

• Posted

Thanks for the response

I am very overweight! Im 5ft6 and 18.6stone......

Sometimes i feel the reflux and then other times i dont, surely the ENT doc would have seen reflux in my throat but he said all was normal so im not even convinced what i might have.

Breathing in hurts by my thyroid area something like cool air and then the tough breathing starts, gp says there is no wheezing but to me i can hear it.

Could it be silent reflux......

My appointment is at 11.15 so ill be stressing till then.

• Posted

Also forgot to add that my throat gets so dry its like they sticking together......
    • Posted

Hi  Kay, I'm not sure why your Doctor won't prescribe anything for your anxiety but Warfarin therapy shouldn't be a reason not to give you something to help. Many of the SSRI drugs can help with anxiety.

• Posted

Hi there

I havent really asked for any if im honest. He says millions of people suffer with globus and no medication will help get rid of the feeling.

Im a nervous wreck right now

• Posted

Aw just seen your post. I can understand what you're going through. I've convinced myself a few times that I've got cancer! I really thought my biopsy results would come back normal, but then had a letter saying they wanted to see me back in clinic! I had to wait 2 weeks to find out! Everyday I tortured myself!

Have you had any other symptoms? X

• Posted

Just seen results were inconclusive. Im really scared now.
    • Posted

Sorry, I accidentally posted before I'd finished!

They found a hernia, and the biopsy results were inconclusive. They showed inflammation and cell changes. So now I'm awaiting results from more sophisticated blood tests, faecal sample, and ultrasound.

I know it's easy to say don't worry, as it's a natural reaction to feel scared and worried. I too was exactly the same. I had to distract myself and had to stop Googling stuff! It honestly sounds like your acid reflux is causing the cough and sore throat, and you never know, maybe you've got a hernia too! But I honestly don't think you've got anything to worry about x

• Posted

I really hope so!

Its more my throat like a tight stuck feeling on my right hand side of my throat. But i do have reflux, ppis dont help neither which is worrying

• Posted

You obviously have had blood tests like FBC. Mine were normal and they say normal blood counts are a good sign, are they??
    • Posted

Its cancer i fear the most! Really feel like crying
    • Posted

Hi all

Endoscopy was all normal. Nothing sinister and no biopsy requested.

YIPPEEEEE

• Posted

Delighted to hear it Kay! Now you can put this behind you, maybe you can start working on your anxiety levels to stop it all happening again.
    • Posted

Thank you Lily

I know, booked in to see the GP next week to discuss treatment for my anxiety.

My throat was not sprayed yesterday but I was sedated, ever since then once the sedation has worn off the right side of my throat burns and aches when I swallow anything....is this normal?

I know there is nothing there smile

• Posted

Yes Kay, It's quite normal that your throat will feel a bit odd for a week or so after endoscopy. As you say, there is nothing there - or nothing serious anyway, maybe a tiny bit of irritation following passage of the scope, that will soon heal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.