PF and heel spurs 3 years plus - desperate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, constantly searching for a cure! Got pf from running about 5k a week so not marathon standard at all! Had cortisone injections, orthotic insoles, sleep in leg splints but NOTHING works. Do all the exercises, stretching, icing. Etc but am at the end of the road. Affecting my mobility dreadfully - can't walk the dog, walk round town, walk kids to school and so much more. Back to see T&O next week but am tired of being told to stretch ice and heel cups/leg splints. Would appreciate ANY advice. Thank you. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

My spealist has me doing claf raises - 6 times a day since last summer - will go back to him again in June
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your comment , yes done  billions of calf raises ! Every stretch imaginable over the three years I have persevered but none have made the damn thing go away or even much better.  I am even fed up of hearing myself moaning about it ! 
    • Posted

Sound like me and all the other people I've met a long the way with this horrible debilitating condition if your on facebook join my group we all have a good moan on there lol
  • Posted

Hi I know the feeling it's so frustrating and constant agony have you been offered surgery at all
    • Posted

I suspect I may be offered surgery at my next appt or at least it will be discussed.  Consultant did say 6 months ago tho that it doesn't always work so not sure if it's a solution. If it was a guarantee I would defiantly have it.  Have you had surgery ? 
  • Posted

If its any consolation its a kind of self limiting illness. I ve had it on and off for 9 years. Some periods of excruciating flare ups then periods pain free. If you can find any shoes that fit snug and with support..wear them indoors too. Definitely dont walk bare foot in the house. Its going to get better if you combine rest and exercise.foot stretches. It stems from the calf muscle down so important to warm up the whole leg area. Ice/heat and massage. I spent a fortune but eventually the found one pair of shoes plus physio tape! Vibro plate also helps circulation.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Beecham, Bless your heart, you sound like me at 1 point and all of us. You gotta try everything bc it is a very individual thing...might not even actually be PF, but could be a nerve issue or a ligament. You need an MRI and a good podiatrist to really know. I do not recommend injections bc from all that I have ever read...most do NOT work and is very painful and some folks got worse. That's just my educated opinion. Read all our posts and you will l earn alot about how diverse this Is. But I feel you...at 1 point I was literall t bedridden with it...could not walk for about a month. I have had my PF for about 2 years. I am able to walk somewhat wearing Crocs shoes...even knockoffs bc they cup the heel instead of allowing your heal to hit flat when you walk. My PF pain is only on my heels, where true PF should be, and feels like I'm walking on rocks with each step. I had it in both heels but when I rolled my right heel on a frozen plastic bottle of water the second time...it left and never came back Praise God!!!! But that did not heal my left heal. Still, you should definitely try that. I find that insoles are never thick enough or soft enought so I usually have to fold a fuzzy sock to put it in the heel of even a house shoe to cushion it. I have had to put a thick piece of foam in my shower so I can stand. It definitely will change your life. Read all the postings bc there is a lot of great experience on here but don't get sucked into everything that's expensive. Staying off your heel is the best medicine but most of us just can't do that for long. I'm praying for you...keep us posted...ladyjack51
  • Posted

P.S. Just wanted to say I've only read about 1 person on here who had the release surgery and it worked. But I've read several that were worse afterwards. Just FYI..be careful
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advice - went to consultant today and he does not recommend surgery! Going to send me for MRI scan again but suspect this will just confirm pf but secretly hope it will tell me something new that can be cured. He has told me to dump the night splints as sometimes they can do more harm than good - I give up!! He said the only thing he can recommend now is shock wave therapy but the nhs don't offer this as the evidence isn't complete enough for them to take it on. He told me very expensive and very painful - marvellous.  Onward and upward I suppose, very upset tonight so large glass of wine or two before I hobble off to bed ! X 
    • Posted

What a shame I had shock wave therapy didn't feel a thing and it did nothing at all
    • Posted

H conker, thanks for taking time to comment. Nice to hear it wasn't painful but disappointed it did nothing at all . I feel like I am going mad with it - can't quite believe that my consultant said if scan confirms the clinical diagnosis of pf then it's the end of the road and he can do nothing more - brilliant. I know I'm not as badly off as some people and count my blessings but feel like a 90 year old woman hobbling about- not a mum with 3 young children ! 
    • Posted

Hi

There is good news in pf is a self limiting condition. Its a tough one but it will eventually go away. I ve had it on and off for 9 years. I now know what aggrivates it. Shoes/sandals that are too flat.or flip flops of any kind unless there are straps round the back to stop your toes over gripping. There are super fit people who get it and equally less active . If you can get the right footwear that supports the arch..thats going to be the key. Not trainers in every case. You need a small lift in the heel and flexible. It will go if you try not to damage the ligament more.

• Posted

Why would your consultant say it's end of the road that's rubbish. .ask to be reffered to a podiatrist
    • Posted

Thats very true..a good podiatrist will look at the mechanics of the foot..some roll in and others out and high/low arch. Miniscule alterations can have a huge impact. We overly accept no treatment or bad advice in this really complex condition. Physio taping can be all it takes for a few weeks to be pain free. You can even learn to do that yourself if shown correctly.
    • Posted

Thanks I will. Back to see him in 5 weeks for results of MRI scan. Just feeling sorry for myself with this horrible debilitating condition but as I say compared to some folk I am jog that bad bit it's all relative. Thx again

• Posted

Hi Janet, thx for your comments and taking the time.  I do wear fit flops, have tried sketchers, crocs, shoes with wedges, high heels, numerous orthotic insoles and it goes on! Think it's just a case of keep going. Thx again for taking the time,all advice is so useful.
    • Posted

Stay positive..get all angles covered. My best advice is a physio taping and vibro plate. Try to keep rested where you can. Not easy. It will subside but a long game not a quick fix.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.