PF for 10 years..who's had surgery??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I am 30 years old and I have had PF for 10 years in both feet. I have tried stretches, ice, insoles, night splint, walking cast, steroid injections and nothing has worked. I would say the intense sharp pain has gone abit but now I am left with a lot of pain in every part of my foot and ankle due to walking in a way which takes the pressure off my heels. I work as a nurse which doesn't help but it's my job! Plus this has only been for the last 5 years. So my question is what next? My podiatrist has said surgery is the last option now. He has suggested a partial plantar fascia release. Is there a surgery where the entire plantar fascia is cut? I have flat feet too which worry a me because surely if you cut part of the arches supporting structure, is that not going to cause more problems? Has anyone got PF and flat feet? Are the success outcomes different in these people? Has anyone had this surgery? Was it a success or fail? My heart says 'you've had this for 10 years and you cry every time you talk about it, surely it's worth a shot' but my head says 'it's too risky and you should just live with it.' Advice please!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh goodness Amy, this sounds horrible. I've been dealing with it for almost a year. I found a place called The Good Feet and got fitted for inserts. And while things are remarkably better, if I walk too much in a day, I'm limping around the next day. I'm curious to see what kind of feedback you get.

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I really hope you can avoid the surgery route.  That's tough on so many levels.

When you get a chance google this story titled "EPAT helps heel spur patients avoid the knife" featured this week in the St. Cloud Times (Minnesota).

EPAT stands for Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Technology (sometimes referred to as ESWT or shockwave therapy).  People, like you, have had great results and, most importantly, have gotten better and been able to avoid surgery.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Amy,

I have had 3 plantar fasciitis released all done in the last 10 months. My foot is worse now than ever. So really I suggest that you look at every option first before going thru the surgery. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi, can I ask you was it a partial plantar fascia release you had? I didn't know they could do it more than once on each foot? Thank you for your reply. Amy.

• Posted

I'm 28 andGabehad pf over 10 years. I've had 2 surgeries, one of which was a Gastrocnemius Release. What they do is filet the gastroc as to add length and relieve the tension. I don't think they do full release some that would be cutting all the way through the muscle. You would lose structure and contol of those areas. Plus you could have adhesions of the gastroc muscle to the improper place.

I will say the pain is slightly less intense and I notice a decrease occurrence of stabbing/random/shooting pain. In saying that I still experience the day to day pain. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.