pH Manometry result very high

Posted , 6 users are following.

Recently had pH Manometry test, result was 63.9 - up from a score of 54 ten years ago, apparently this is a very high DeMeester score. I also recently had endoscopy and Barretts was discovered but no dysphasia, gastritis and duodenitis also diagnosed.  Hiatus hernia diagnosed 10 years ago and have been on Omeprazole 20mg since then but now increased to 40mg, also now on Ranitidine 300mg. Been referred to surgeon for possible nissen fundiplication, I was offered this ten years ago but declined as Omeprazole was controlling my symptoms, looks like I should have had it then. Burping lots and chest area making lots of groaning noises, very uncomfortable - does anyone else get these noises? They used to only happen when I laid on my left side but now happen anytime, tired of all this now.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi sunlover, I have a ph test coming up - what's the Demeester score? 
    • Posted

Hi Stella, that's the result you will get from the pH test, a score of 14 and above shows you have reflux.
    • Posted

Thanks Sunlover. Did you have to match your symptoms to events or did they just go off the reflux coming up? I'm not sure how things work. I'm on day 2 off ppis and feeling pretty awful today.
    • Posted

You will have a little device like a Walkman and you have to press a button when you eat or have an incident of reflux and when you go to bed. You also have to keep a diary of everything you eat or drink over the 24 hours. You also have to lay flat when you go to sleep which after a week off your medication and a day of eating foods that provoke acid is a very long night indeed! They analyse the results and come up with your score.
    • Posted

I have to admit I am dreading that part. Did you get told to provoke your reflux or just have a normal day? ( sorry for all of the questions but I'm trying to get myself ready for Thursday). 
    • Posted

Hi Stella, they tell you on the day of the test to eat all the things that you usually avoid, like curry, fried and fatty foods, pastries etc. they insert a tube up your nose and down into your Oesophagus and make you take multiple sips of water while they measure the pressure. They take that tube out and insert another which is taped to the side of your face and attached to the device which you keep in for 24 hours. It is not too uncomfortable but you are aware of it. It's only 24 hours so it is bearable. Good luck and don't worry too much about it, you can sit at home and put your feet up!
  • Posted

Hi Sunlover yes I get these noises it sounds like someone groaning and moaning to get out they are digestive noises and people with ibs get them  too I think they are called. Borygmi or something like that sound awful don't they a lady from my village had nissen and has never looked back so it's worth considering keep your chin up its not easy but we have to keep fighting to be well take care  
    • Posted

Hi trace ann, I have looked that up and borborygmi would appear to be stomach growling, mine is in my chest I think it is to do with my hiatus hernia, my husband calls them my jungle noises!  
  • Posted

Hi Sunlover. Do you have nocturnal breakthrough? I ask this because I had a Nissen fundoplication years ago which completely cured my daytime reflux but not my nighttime. I guess when the sphincter relaxes in a deep sleep a slight tightening isn't going to do the trick. There is this Lynx procedure that I keep reading about which sounds perfect for people like me who have nocturnal reflux as it is a band of magnetic beads which break apart when you swallow but I don't think I can have it because of the folds now around my LES as a result of the fundo (I am seeing my gastro doc next week to ask him about it). I don't think it is on the NHS yet but do look into to it before you have the op. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Lucia, I guess I must have nocturnal breakthrough, you really have to self diagnose these days and find out things yourself don't you, thank goodness for the internet and sites like these. I have also come across the Lynx procedure recently in my quest for more information, not sure what my consultant will suggest when I get to see him. As I now have Barretts I have also come across the Halo procedure which is ablation of the damaged cells - not sure if that is an option for me (as well as nissen) but they don't do that procedure at my local hospital. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi Sunlover and lucinia halo 360 is only performed at large hospitals and if you have dysplasia that may turn cancerous I think . I would like to have manometry done because my acid seems to be increasing does anyone get burning on their bottom after a bowel movement because the acid is so strong 
    • Posted

Hey Sunlover - they do do Lynx on the nhs. There's 3 hospitals who do it, but unfortunately if you have a hiatus hernia greater than. 3cm or Barretts they won't do it. May be worth having a discussion with your consultant, especially if you have short segment Barretts
    • Posted

Thanks Stella, I'm just looking into everything at the moment so I am informed when I go to see him.
  • Posted

Did you go ahead with fundiplication? Your DeMeester is very,very, high

• Posted

Hey, if you think 69 is bad my Bravo pulled up a score of 116 but this was after my POEM Procedure and because of severe acid attacks I had a plication via overstitch and that only made things worse.

Do yourself a huge favor before jumping on the metal table ask your doctor if he makes it to tight or too loose can he go in and reverse it? I don't think they can so have great trust in the surgeon who does it because most rely on telling you after the swelling goes down you'll feel better and they say it takes about 3 months to heal but they count on if you are still having a problem you won't rush back into surgery because it's not pleasant by any means. I've had 2 surgeries on my esophagus in one year for my Achalasia type 3 and worse than before I started. Good luck. Any questions drop me a note

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.