Pharmacy changed my generic sertraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I will try to make this short....at the end of August I picked up my new prescription of sertraline and began taking it as usual.  Within 3 days, I felt like I wanted to die.  I have never had anxiety like this.  I continued to take these pills as the pharmacist and doctor explained I would have to wait 4-6 weeks to feel any better.  I thought this was odd given that I have been on sertraline since December and I was only increasing the dose.  Finally, my doctor questioned whether or not the pharmacy had changed the generic they use.  Sure enough, they had changed to a brand I have never used before.  So I was able to find a doctor at an after hours clinic to write me a prescription for the generic I was on previously that I know worked for me.  I have been on the one ACT Sertraline for 4 weeks now.  Just a week ago, I started having the increased anxiety I was expecting after changing back and I am still experiencing it.  Can anyone relate to this? I know there are lots of people out there who have had a difficult time with certain generics, and i'm just wondering how long after being on a med that wasn't working did you start to feel better?  TIA

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren,

I had that same experience happen to me before. Had to switch Pharmacies and it was a different manufacturer. Started feeling bad and couldn't figure out why? After thinking about it the new pharmacy came to mind which made me think of manufacturer of the generic. Sure enough it was a different manufacturer. I got the original brand back and I got better. I honestly don't recall how long it took but I think it was a week or two for me? I don't recall it being a long time.... I now always call in my prescription and specify which brand I need. They have it noted in the database but still mess it up so I call and speak to someone every time. You have been back on the correct one for 4weeks now or that was the wrong brand?

• Posted

I was on the old one that wasn't working for 4 weeks, and I've been on the new one for 4 weeks as well. As soon as I stopped taking the other I stopped feeling so awful, but wasn't feeling great either. Still was having side effects, really bad stomach issues. Headaches etc. After 3 weeks those side effects stopped but then I started getting more anxious. It was almost as if the other drug made me so sick, the new one couldn't start working until it was completely out of my system. I was expecting the bump of anxiety soon after I got on the correct one but it seems to have come a little later for some reason. I have been told by several doctors and pharmacists that it will work and I will be good but it's so hard to believe when the anxiety comes

• Posted

How long have you been on the sertraline? My incident was about 5 years ago. I am actually in start up again of the med and it has been pretty brutal. I did 2 weeks on 25mg and have been on 50mg for 17 days. Still have some pretty intense side effects. I am hoping these subside here very soon. Very intense and some days I feel just awful. I am also taking for anxiety. Sounds like you are on the right track. Maybe mine turned around pretty quick as I went back to my usual brand probably within about a week.
    • Posted

I originally went on in 2012 after the birth of my daughter when I developed postpartum anxiety.  I was on for about 8 months then weaned off and was great for 3 years. Then last Christmas I started seeing a chiropractor and I think something was released after my first adjustment and I started feeling the same way I had after her birth (though I had no relapses or signs of relapse until then).  I went on 50 mg at that time as I was scared then I weaned down to 25 mg. in August I was stung multiple times by wasps and the meds I took for an allergy interacted with the low 25mg dose so I decided to go back up to 50mg to get past the allergic reaction and to level out. Then it all went to hell with the other generic.
    • Posted

Ohh yes. Extremely. Sometimes unbearable. I do have Xanax. I also have a lot of nausea, had a little vomiting, increased depression, emotional, achy body.... All of it. Weird loopy feelings. I don't recall having this many problems on the past. How about you. What side effects have you had?

• Posted

At first it was dry mouth, nausea and diarrhea. Now it's the anxiety, aches and fatigu . I take ativan to get through the really rough parts. I remember having two really rough weeks when I went on at Christmas last year too. Then it just stopped and I felt good.

• Posted

Yea have bouts of dry mouth as well. Will feel decent and manageable and then like death the next day... Today was a bad day. Yesterday was pretty good. So up and down.. That's why I am hoping I level some here soon. Day 17 of 50 mg.

• Posted

I get racing heart and am having sleep trouble as well. Even with a sleeping pill.
    • Posted

I've been on assert ra line for 2 yrs. Started at 50mg and then went up to

100mg. I have had insomnia in the past but for the past 6 months it has gotten bad. I want to Stop taking this. How do you wean yourself off?  Need to contact my dr.

• Posted

Having a rocky morning today. Feeling really emotional....hoping this journey is over soon
    • Posted

Hi Lauren,

Sorry you are having a rough morning. I know what you mean. It is so up and down. So how long have you been on the 50 mg then in total?

• Posted

I have been on for 4 weeks. But I don't think it kicked I until a week ago. I think the other medication was making me so sick that this new one couldn't work until it was all out of my system

• Posted

After the bad generic I started the new one at 50. Which is probably why I'm not feeling that great

• Posted

Yes you are probably getting side effects from increasing to 50 mg. Mine started all over when I increased. My anxiety has been bad.....
    • Posted

If it helps at all, I have been told by 2 doctors and several pharmacists that if a drug worked for you in the past, it will almost certainly work again
    • Posted

Thanks Lauren! I have taken this a few times and always works great. Just Seems it has been a rougher start up this time. Have you taken this before or any others?
    • Posted

This is the only one I've ever taken and it's worked everytime so there is no reason it wouldn't again. The anxiety likes to tell me it won't though...even though several medical professionals have told me it will

• Posted

How are you feeling? It Will be okay Lauren. Think positive. I know it can be hard... Where do you live? Do you have any medication to help you through the rough patches?
    • Posted

I live in Ontario Canada...I have Ativan to get me through...I just hope this gets better soon. I just want my life back. Where are you?
    • Posted

Good glad you have something... I am in the US - Arizona. We will get there. Just takes time. Unfortunately!
    • Posted

Before you upped to the 50mg were you feeling that the 25mg just wasn't cutting it? I still think 3 weeks is pretty normal. It totally sucks but I don't think you are alone. Like I said it was 17 or 18 days the last time I went on. So that's pretty close to 3 weeks. Hang in there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.