Pharyngeal Pouch.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering with coughing, choking etc and nasal drip since last October. After so many visits to the Doctors being told it is Asthma and stomach acid eventually I got them to refer me to the Hospital and after months of waiting got an appointment on January 4th and had the Camera down my throat and was given a Nasal wash with a follow up for a Barrium swallow test and scan again a long wait until February 12th when the Radiographer told me that I have got a large Pharyngeal Pouch. Still waiting for a follow up with the Consultant (not just typed up the results!). I suffer with on going Post Nasal Drip and find it hard to sleep. Can anyone give me some of their experiences with this problem please. I would dread surgery as last year had day surgery for Haemorhoids and had to have a further operation with 2 futher admittances bleeding and unconcious (nearly dying twice) and 4 pints of blood. I am now really sacred of operations. Can anyone offer any advice and help on all this. It will be gratefully received.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Fortunately I don't think I have this condition though I have expereinced the symptoms you describe all my life.

Aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux is frequently misdiagnosed as asthma or allergy etc. (I was always being sent to ENT before I realsied it was reflux related.)

Fortunately you now have a treatable diagnosis. It may require minor surgery but hopefully will alleviate the problem.

I do understand the fear of surgery - especially if you bleed easily. (My wife nearly died from haemorrhage following hysterectomy. You would need to discuss your fears with the surgeon so he is fully prepared. (My wife had to have minor surgery recently and they took the possibility of her bleeding very seriously, adapting the suturing etc to minmise all risks.)

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Barretts I appreciate your comments. I dont have a problem with bleeding. I only had two minor surgeries the problems arose from the Surgeon getting it wrong which they apologised to me for. Incidently this is not the first time that has happened to me so I do not trust surgery anymore. there can be many complications from this operation so I would like to find a way to deal with it without the knife. Kind regards,
    • Posted

Barretts, I saw teh survey you did sometime ago and just wanted to compare my symptoms with the survey-  So I will answer yes, no or had them) on each of them,

(Yes) 70% reported experiencing Hoarseness,

(Yes) 64% constant throat clearing,

(Had them) 58% post nasal drip,

(Yes) 58% Asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath),

(Yes) 53% simusitis,

(No) 53% bad taste in mouth, 50%

(No) Globus (lump in throat),

(No) 42% chronic cough,

(No) 41% tooth decay or sharp edges to teeth,

(Yes) 35% Catarrhal symptoms (blocked nose),

(No, but can't sing anymoree) 35% Loss of voice,

(Yes) 35% dry or gritty eyes,

(No) 30% nocturnal ear waxing (particularly right ear {reflux being more common when lying on the right side})

( No on al 4) In other responses, the following indicators were highly indicated: Bad breath, Tinnitus, Hyposmia (poor sense of smell), Sore throat.

Interestting survey. ;-)

• Posted

Sorry to hear your stuggles. ;-(  I don't have the same symptoms but I do believe I have Aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux and will have a Barrium Swallow test this Friday.  What exactly detected the large Pharyngeal Pouch?
    • Posted

Hi It showed up with the Barium swallow Test on the scans very clearly. I hope all goes well for you on Friday.
    • Posted

Now that I see the symptoms for this I have all (mild) except for 3 out of the list which are bad breath, Cauth (just a litttle itchy on the throat) and being over 70.  I do have one not listed here which is chest heaviness around my esophagus.

Typical signs and symptoms of pharyngeal pouches

Age (over 70 years).

Dysphagia.

Regurgitation.

Aspiration.

Cough.

Borborygmi.

Choking.

Halitosis.

Weight loss.

Hoarseness.

• Posted

Thanks, I'm counting the minutes.  Not to happy with my old GI which never ordered this test and once I changed to new GI this was the first test she ordered. The only surgery I ever had was a few months back and it was just the removal of my gallblatter which they did not detect until I insisted something else was wrong.  Now, I can't complain because as for that so far I had no problem at all. Hopefully all goes well with yours and you get your life back. ;-)
  • Posted

Hi Margaret

​My mother has this. she suffered for decades with recurrent chest infections before the pouch was discovered. (she is now 88 yrs old) she has  lots of other health issues , so we are not sure what causes her choking on food (more often than not) or gasping for breath but when this happens the 'pouch' has to be manually massaged to relive her syptoms . The massage also has to be done after every meal and this has stopped the recurrent chest infections due to food inhalation into the lungs from the pouch . She cant have surgery...too many other health complications so I cant really give u any information on the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.