Philosophical thought of the day

Posted , 6 users are following.

Fcebook reminded me that I posted this last year.  Thought I'd share with my health-seeking PMR friends and, if the moderator lets me, the osteoporosis crowd as well:

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk: every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it ... but by sitting still, and the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill ... Thus if one just keeps on walking, everything will be all right.

Soren Kierkegaard, quoted in Chatwin, The Songlines

5 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Very good advice and very timely. Am currently trying to juggle some family issues amd keep everyone happy while resting sufficiently and this has just reminded me that if i walk a bit things will seem clearer and I will manage to do what I can and say no when I have to.

Thankyou

• Posted

I love this, yep walking is so freeing.  Also, I always have my Fitbit on and am challenged by my friends to just keep moving.  Good advice.  I do some of my best thiking while I am walking.  Looking forward to cooler weather though.  The heat of summer dictates to me now when I can walk.  Right now it is near 100, so no can do.  
  • Posted

Yes, great advice. Both from you and the great danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. He has many interesting views. My body really needs to walk more. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Posted

I think he's talking more about the body/mind relationship than anything else. Time to stop thinking and just 'be'?

• Posted

I agree I haven´t heard him talk about walking or exercise, but I guess anything is possible.

I don´t think he would have been able to stop thinking and just be.

But is a really god idea to try.

He is called a christian existentialist and he delt with individualism and personal responsibility and much more. He is a hard man to understand, but very interesting.

It is interesting to touch philosophy as well .....

I tried to include a link to wikipedia, but it did not work.

It is interesting to touch philosophy as well ...I just love it...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.