PHN from Herpes encephalitis anyone try a spinal cord simulator?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had encephalitis almost 20 years ago.  This caused PHN on my entire left side.  Has anyone else gotten it from encephalitis.  I'm on all the basic med and herbal supplements.  The creams do nothing.  Has anyone had a spinal cord simulator?  I'm to the point that I'll try anything because the pain is getting worse.  On the good side I have found some relief with the herb butterburr, and eucalyptus oi. Acupuncture and meditation have also helped some.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Acupuncture actually made it worse for me. I have tried nerve blocks and they did not work either. I am in the process of waiting on approval from insurance for a spinal cord stimulator. A woman of 33 close in age says it has worked wonders for her andaughter she is a clinitian also. So it's worth it to me. I will keep you posted.
  • Posted

Hi Jamie:

I have a stimulator - it did help with the deeper lightning sharp pain however unfortuantely it doesnt help with the surface pain that arises from light dermal contact such as clothing etc.  You can try TENS which is not surgically implanted to see if it helps and they will also do a test before implantation to make sure you receive benefit from it.  Like you and others I was/am desparate for pain relief and would try anything.  You have nothing to risk or lose in having the implant.  If you can believe before they implanted I was put on truth serum to make sure that the pain was real and not imaginary or part of a insurance scam.  Wishing you well   jim

• Posted

This is to everyone! I am located in the US and I know countries will vary. I got shingles in the same area in February and have had PHN since. I can't wear a bra all day and excruciating doesn't describe some days. I have tried EVERYTHING, drugs, acupuncture, lidocaine patches, capsaicin cream and then the patch, and nerve blocks. Hydrocodone will work for about an hour and I refuse to be on pain killers the rest of my life.

I FINALLY have found something that works. It's a Spinal Cord Stimulator. I have gone through the trial and have the implant scheduled for Nov. 12th. It's the first time all year I jabber had relief and can wear a bra and sleep without pain. If you have tried everything and feel hopeless, I can tell you there is an option. They say it only works on 50% of PHN patients and feeling blessed to have something. Thank God I have fantastic insurance because it's not cheap. I know surgery is going to suck but at this point worth it. Hope you can find relief as this is the only place I feel people actually understand what I go through on daily basis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.