PHN months after Shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys - I recently had a bout of shingles sometime in mid January 2016 and the area was just above my left eyebrow. Luckily the pain wasn't too bad and I was put on antivirals and everything cleared up in about a week or so. 

A few weeks ago I noticed a certain numbness on the left side of my face near my ear, it would occur a few times a day and I didn't think anything of it.The numbness started getting a bit more persistent and I went to see a doctor early on and she thought it was an ear infection and gave me some antibiotics but they haven't helped.

Went to see the doctor again Monday and he said it was from Shingles. My pain is very slight, its mainly numbness and maybe a dull ache from time to time. 

I just found it a bit strange it would occur so many months after my bought with Shingles and was hoping someone could elborate (my doctor said it happens). I've been put on Gabapentin for 4 weeks and was told to check back with the doctor. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

A similar situation happened with me. I had shingles on the left side of my forehead, and it took a few weeks to a month before the pain started in the same area. 

Basically, the virus damages the shielding of the nerve so it over reacts to stimulus. Hopefully you will recover sooner than most of us in this group. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Did you get pain right away? I'm not really feeling pain just numbness and maybe a dull ache.... also how long did it take for you to recover??

• Posted

The pain took a few weeks to about a month to manifest, and in different ways. I don't think anyone feels the pain in the same way, and it an change over time. 

I used to get a feeling of puffiness around my eye, but doesn't happen any more. 

The bad news is that I haven't recovered after nearly 3 years. Most people recover within a few months, but I think many in this forum are here because it has taken a lot longer to recover, if at all. 

Vitamin B supplements and a high protein diet could help, but maybe taken it up with your GP. 

• Posted

Hi in answer to your question  it can happen as quickly as you have found it.  I have found two of my local friends who have had repeats over and over again.  I take Gabepentin for the last year,  in fact mine pain never stops, my is under the breast and round to my shoulder, some times I can feel no pain and other days my shoulder blade and under my breast area.  My shoulder blade seems to be more painful during the time you want to relax  (just before I go to bed) I use ice packs and of course my meds Amitriplyn is already at 100 mg per session I know I should not but a small glass of my favourite wine just helps some times.  I am officially retired now, no more school  no more stroppy (is that spelt right ?) 12 year olds children---  BUT OH HOW I REALLY WILL MISS THEM.  What do I do now with my time, no getting up at 6 in school for 8. take care I wish you well.  Jocelyne  Cambridgre UK
  • Posted

Thanks for help and advice everyone. Luckily I haven't really experienced much pain just numbness and a dull ache, but today it is really presistent (been going all afternoon). I just took my first dose of Gabapentin (100mg) could it be related?

Has anyone just had a numbness or ache? Also Geezee I was clear for ~6 months before i started getting these symptoms, is that normal?

• Posted

Shingles damages the nerves and therefore gives confused messages to the brain. Some people say they never really heal but l am hopeful although l am in my 5 month of PHN massive itch burn and numb sensation on the right side of my ear, face, and neck. I sleep with a cold pack in my pillow case as the pain & itch is relieved by the cold. This week l decided to go back on Lyrica to get some relief. I have used many itch creams but found they don't really work. I did get some relief from geranium essential oil and St John's Wort ointment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.