Physiotherapy after PKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a PKR - 5 weeks ago and have had a single physiotherapy session - 2 weeks ago - the physio has left me with an "open appointment" - which concerns me - I was expecting a few weeks/months of ongoing physio appointments and wonder whether this is common practice ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You should have it twice weekly for two weeks and then evaluated - keep at them because you need strengthening - yourquestion physio seems clueless....

• Posted

Don't know the protocol for a PKR.  I had a TKR...two weeks home...then 9 weeks PT 2X/week.  Went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +128.  Gotta break down the scar tissue...but it may be different for a partial.

• Posted

I had a PKR in November and had PT 2x a week for 6 weeks. Maybe she is new or thinks you will heal fast. Good luck
  • Posted

I would only worry if you haven't been given exercises to do at home because that is all it is really, here in the UK anyway. I had a TKR six weeks ago, was given a piece of paper with exercises to do having been shown them in hospital. Then saw Physio after staples removed,  then again after 4 weeks a visit to Physio who had a look, a bit of a massage and a few stretches and gave me a new series of exercises. Said all was good and instructions not to overdo it or walk without one crutch and come back in three weeks which is next week.

So it does seem bad not to get seen at all but doing the basic exercises is the main thing i think.

• Posted

Hi Steve

Had pkr May 19, they would not send me to PT nor could I private pay without a script . They gave me exercises to do at home and I went on line as well .

I a

Just keep working at it at home diligently and then rest and ice . It'll come.

Debbie

• Posted

Is that "open appt." suppose to mean come in when you need reinforcement or them to check on your progress?  Seems to leave too much on your shoulders.

• Posted

Open means that it is down to me...

Pain is now worse than at 2 weeks post op !

• Posted

I'd say increase your pain meds because that way it's a tool, so you can still do the exercises without the pain dictating a normal response to back off.  Obviously if you swell more then it is too much.  Let that be your guide as to what is too much.  Here's a good one to do every hour:  sit in a chair with wheels and slide forward and back so your knee is bending and extending.  Set a goal and increase the number of times as long as your knee doesn't start to swell.  Continue to ice and elevate.  I found icing also helps with breakthrough pain when the pain meds aren't in full force.  Small gains over time by being consistant.  I was told there will be increases in how far you can bend the knee up to two years post op.  <Patience>  and lots of hugs.

• Posted

Hi Steve,

My experience is almost the same as Dcweather ! I am in Cornwall, UK - I was operated on for a partial knee replacement as an NHS patient in a private hospital in Nov 2015. At a pre op assessment I was given a booklet of pictures showing all the exercises I needed to do as well as their frequency. I wasn't happy with this so went on Youtube and searched for knee replacement exercises - got heaps of short videos showing what was to be done. Did all my exercises at home for 8 weeks - in fact I dedicated 8 weeks of my life 24/7 to exercises AND stayed on my crutches till my 8 week appointment with Consultant. My stitches were staples and self disolved themselves. 13 days after surgery I had my dressing removed and a week later had my one and only PT assessment. I might add I wasn't allowed home from hospital until I had achieved a 90 degree bend.

In a nutshell, no, I don't think you've had the appropriate PT advice and care. During the 8 weeks I very gently, slowly increased my walking - still on two crutches. I also went to my sports injury therapist who massaged both the wound along the scar line and the knee itself to prevent the formation of scar tissue. 

Job done - at 8 weeks i was off crutches, back to driving my car, and at 11 weeks back to work driving a bus. Haven't looked back since. Last visit to Consultant was at end of February and he was so pleased he didn't wanna see me till 1st Anniversary of surgery, i.e. Nov 2016.

John

• Posted

I was given crutches - but was unable to use them - due to poor coodination - but had a frame for twio weeks (until the hospital asked for it back - I had  to walk without any aids after 3 weeks - which I did

I have had no physio at all - jiust given a hand writteb scrawl of excercises to do and left to it

I had an appt wiith a nurse last week (9 weeks post op) with another in 12 months

THAT IS ALL THAT I HAVE HAD !

My bend is 120 degrees though

• Posted

Twice a week with a PT plus home exercises until you can get the maximum flexion you can achieve.  The goal is usually 0 / +120 but the elderly and people with previous knee/leg impairments may not get that far.  

It's painful when they crank your leg back or push it down but that breaks up the scar tissue that's forming inside.  Gotta do it...no real alternative except walking with a limp forever.  This may help at home...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-heel-slide-exercises-526213

If you have that flexion already, start at the gym...you have to rebuild your quads, glutes and core.  Recovery doesn't end with PT.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.