Pilates and RA/AS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All. I am 40y old and was diagnosed with RA, then AS and then "maybe" OA during the course of many many years. Trying to be active but in pain most if not all of the days. Which added fibro to the diagnosis... I started Pilates last week. Second class and it feels as if my back and some of my joints are broken. On the other hand? It's the first time in many years that I can stand up semi straight for more than a second (was a dancer when I was young. Nothing of my posture remained, sadly...). Does anyone here have a positive experience with Pilates? How long did it take for the body to adjust? And to see the results, aka less pain and suchlike? Thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Swimming is far less of an impact to sore joints, plus cardio.
    • Posted

Yes, I know, thanks. But I need to rebuild the skeleton muscles and this is what Pilates is supposedly famous for..
  • Posted

I have sero negative RA, and the only way I can exercise is to get in our local heated pool and tread water in the deep end, supported by a noodle to keep me stretched out, tuck the noodle under my arms and allow my body below that just to fall away into the water.

Has been a life saver for me, as I developed DVT due to lack of being able to move from my damaged hip with OA.

Have since had double hip replacement which has wiped out the pain from my hips, but it has been discovered the arthiritis is also attacking my spine, and have since developed ruptered dics.

Physio's have said to me very imprssed with general strength, in torso and legs, also ability to plank with no discomfort, told me to keep up the good work with my swimming/treading water, and said she would be recommended the heated pool to others based on my improvements since hip replacments.

• Posted

Thanks Lyn. Sadly I hate swimming. I can swim. Not a great swimmer but I used to swim regularly in my late 20th. Since the joint related problems has begun I simply dread water. It hurts after swimming. And during. When it's not hot enough it's horrible. When you get out of hot pool into a colder air it's horrible... I know that it's all in my head. Have now an approachable pool practically next door. Take the kids there almost every day. And still can't make myself go inside... Maybe one day will be desperate enough to try... :-(

• Posted

Ama - why do you think I use a noodle under my arms, I cannot swim as such, without the noodle to support me in the water I would just panic.

Some years ago put on a lovely demostration of what not to do in a deep pool when I relised i couldn't touch the bottom, ended up wrapping myself around flutter board and sank like a stone.

Came to my senses when the entire lifesaving crew ended up splashing into the pool on a rescue mission, and managed to force myself to calm down enough to not fight them, took me a long time before I went back in the deep end with any confidence, still don't think I could do it without the float device.

• Posted

Maybe this is just not the right Pilates class for you.   I don't know.  I took a  class years ago before RA and it was very difficult and i did hurt afterward.  But I have read that Pilates is excellent tool for people with RA--did a web search and lot of good info

I am trying to struggle with a senior aerobics class that I used to attend 3x week.  I resumed after a few months away and now after 3 classes more pain.  I started water aerobics once weekly.  Not  a heated pool --so will see how it goes.  Ankles hurt a bit afterward

Good luck -maybe someone will respond with a positive experience here re. Pilates exercise

• Posted

Can you do resistive work at home on your own? Using bands, or body weight.  I'm learning not to do too many reps, maybe 10, then do some again later in the day. I lost my muscles due to Prednisone, so I'm gaining them back, but if something hurts too much I skip it. 

Also, I'll put on some music and dance around the house or in the shower just to get things moving, but surely it strengthens our arms, I mean look at ballet dancers arms, and shoulders, nice and strong. wink 

i do do gentle leg lifts while watching tv, and have small weights nearby too to work arms. I'm seeing my muscles come back, but I'm also almost done with my Prednisone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.